cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTY stuck on 6500

simon.allen
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any bugs in 6500 Sup720 code 12.2(33)SXH7 for stuck VTY sessions?  We ended up having to reboot a dual supervisor Sup720 as we had a stuck VTY session.

A telnet session didn't disconnect cleanly and I couldn't clear it either with "clear line <line no>" or "clear tcp <tcb no>". I also tried changing the vty settings but that didn't do it either. The problem was that the session hung after issuing a "wr mem" so after that I couldn't view the running or startup config.

I got this error message .....

"Unable to get configuration. Try again later."

The logs were reporting this.....

Dec 15 21:24:29.108 gmt: %SYS-SP-3-CPUHOG: Task is running for (2000)msecs, more

than (2000)msecs (46/40),process = RFSS_server_action.

-Traceback= 4142AE28 405D8BA4 405DA9DC 403B8C74 405DFC38 403B8C74 4092B150 40759

4A4 40759490

Dec 15 21:24:34.672 gmt: %SYS-SP-3-CPUHOG: Task is running for (2000)msecs, more

than (2000)msecs (101/97),process = RFSS_server_action.

Also, some Mitel servers attached to the switches were reporting continuous spanning tree topology changes.

I switched to the secondary supervisor ok but then when the other supervisor reloaded it couldn't access the config from the active one so wouldn't sync up and kept rebooting itself!

Reloading both supervisors fixed it but it would be good to know if there's a workaround?

3 Replies 3

simon.allen
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot to say, switching to the other supervisor cleared the stuck VTY but as the two cards wouldn't sync the config I had to reload both of them anyway to fix that.

Is there a crash info written in your flash?

"dir bootflash" will show you that

Also, SXH is pretty old.  You probably want to upgrade to SXI or even SXJ if your memory and flash can support it.

HTH

simon.allen
Level 1
Level 1

No, there are no crash files.

I think we'll need to upgrade so I'll have a look for a suitable image to use.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card