Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake-On-Lan : Problem through multiple L3 Switches + OSPF Routing

Hello All,

I'm facing to a very strange problem.

I'm trying to wake-up stations from a server into a different VLAN, but through OSPF routing and multiple L3 Switches hop.

Look @ the joined topology scheme. (!! BE CAREFULL !!   This is a NO PASSIVE INTERFACE VLAN 500 for OSPF, inter-router link L3)

wol-topology.png

On R1 only VLAN 200, 300 and 500 are known.

On R2 only VLAN 100,102,103,... (floors) and 500 are known.

L3 Interface VLAN 500 is a NO PASSIVE INTERFACE for OSPF. All the route are going through this vlan interface l3.

Every Networks are known in OSPF.

On R1, I put this configuration :

access-list 101 permit udp any any eq 7

ip forward-protocol udp 7

interface vlan 500

ip directed-broadcast 101

On R2 :

access-list 101 permit udp any any eq 7

ip forward-protocol udp 7

interface vlan 100

interface vlan 101

interface vlan 102

interface vlan 103

interface vlan 500

When I try to wake up the Station (vlan 101) from another Station on another Floor VLAN(vlan 102) (which are known by R2), this is working.

But when I try to wake up Station (vlan 101) from the Server (vlan 200) (which both are not declared on the 2 routers), this is not working.

I tried this page :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a008084b55c.shtml

But when broadcast from WoL is send through OSPF or Multiple Routers, this is not working...

How could I implement this ?

7 Replies 7

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

if you want to WoL from a server on 200 at R1 you will need to do ip directed broadcast on vlan 200 on R1 the same way you have done from other VLANs

Ok.

I did ip directed-broadcast on EVERY interface vlan on every Routers.

This is still not working.

I looked at this docoment and it says to use UDP port 7

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a008084b55c.shtml

On a LANDesk document it says it uses UDP port 0 by default.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1866

Can you change your ACL to use UDP port 0 and try again

Thanks for your answer but it's still not working.

No, this is a Port 7.

When I use a Wireshark sniffer, I can see UDP ECHO packet generated and going from one station to the other.

So ACL on UDP port 7 is the right one.

what is providing the link between the two routers?

Is it a managed WAN? is there maybe an additonal router in a cloud that also need to have ip directed broadcast added?

Stephane

You have not told us that you have configured ip helper-address on the VLAN 200 interface. If this is not configured then that is your major problem.

Depending on the server Wake On LAN might operate on various ports, depending on how the server is configured and port 7 is a common choice but others are possible.

What you need is this:

- on the layer 3 device where the server is connected you need the ip forward-protocol. This command is not needed on other devices (but it does no damage if it is configured on other devices where it is not needed).

- on the layer 3 interface where the server is connected you need the ip helper-address and it needs to specify that the address to send to is the directed broadcast address where the PC is located. You do not need ip helper-address on interfaces other than where the server is connected.

- on the layer 3 interface where the PC is connected you need the ip directed-broadcast command. You do not need this command on interfaces other than where destination PCs are connected.

- you do not necessarily need an access list for the Wake On LAN traffic, but if access lists are configured on interfaces through which this traffic will go then you need to be sure that these access lists will permit the traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you all for your help.

This is now working.

I just added these commands

# conf t

(config)# interface vlan 200  (---> interface L3 on which the Server is connected on)

(config-if)# ip helper address 192.168.101.255 (---> the broadcast address on which the station is connected on)

Now, I'm able to wake up the stations.

Thank you !

Stephane.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card