cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wan lan route

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! i've a few sites with setup as option 1 in the diagram attached, whereby i've a WAN vlan with FW, Telco MPLS router and an ASA(backup link) connected to this WAN VLAN. The FW and ASA will have a route back to the internal netowk of 10.1.1.0/24 and 10.1.2.0/24 through the WAN GW 10.1.1.1. I also have a internal cisco router for the inter-vlan routing.

My question is can i have something like option2, whereby i've a flat network of just 10.1.1.0/24 to achieve what i've in option1?. This network serve as a only lan for the wan equipment and data lan. Is this setup possible? If that's the case, what woud the return route for the FW and ASA be? can i use 10.1.1.3 of the FW and 10.1.1.4 of the ASA as the GW respecively to go to 10.1.1.0/24 network? eg. ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.3 for FW, and 10.1.1.4 for ASA?

What addditonal configuration is required if option 2 is achievable?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! Any advise on the question in my last post? Thanks.

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, both options are achievable. Just make internal router as default gateway for hosts. And configure static route pointing to the Internet(FW,ASA) on that router. Also you can use IP SLA as an automatic failover option. Another static route to subnets behind MPLS pointing to MPLS router.

The question is why do you need option 2? Because it's not so scalable solution if in the future your network might grow.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: