Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Router Throughput

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

i am looking to choose a  router for WAN connectivity with appropriate throughput but i m confused how do i choose them based on what criteria, and what questionnaire i have to ask to the customer, for the same.

i was looking for the datasheet of ISR routers for 4331 it has 4 X GIG interface but the throughput of ISR routers is 100 Mbps, so what is the logic behind this ??? i don't understand the architecture.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"caps" - i.e. an overall/aggregate bandwidth limit (license enforced) that the device will allow. This is documented for the device - on its datasheets.

How many queues per interface? Lots! Usually more than most will ever need. CBWFQ might support about a thousand(?).

[edit]

PS:

I've just read up on the "Boost" license that Georg mentions.  Basically, that looks like it removes the performance cap imposed by software license.  I.e. the device will have variable (or non-deterministic in Cisco speak) performance and operate much like the prior gen of ISRs.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is comparison, that base License is 100MB, if you need higher you need to buy a license to higher level

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

here is the License and support models (Aggregate Throughput (Performance License) with 4331 can go 300Max

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html#Ordering-Information

you can also test for 60days by activation tem license :

You may activate the temporary throughput license with:

# platform hardware throughput level XXXXX

It will work for 60 days until expires reloading after that period.

You should activate the permanent license with a PAK.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear Balaji,

thanks for the reply, 

the thorughput is 300 Mbps and lets assume 2 X GIG interface's reaches to 500 Mbps consumption, then how the router will process the packets, Cisco is providing a GIG interfaces but the throughput is lower than the interface speed

what is Application experience in ISR ?? what does it provides ??  for example voice bundle can provide SRST, CME, CUBE such features and also for security it can provide VPN and encryption features.

Thanks

Hello,

to partially answer your question: the ISR 4331 has a base throughput of 100MB, with the Performance license you will get 300MB, and with the Boost license you get over 2Gbps. The throughput is activated in software.

Check Table 4 of the attached document.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html

yes you need additional license to go higher level throughput. please refer my orginal URL.

BB

thanks experts for contributing in this thread but clear my doubts as things come to mind i like to clear them.

lets assume i have boost license but there are 3 no's  onboard interfaces and + 2 NIM slot provisions, if these all interfaces receives traffic near to the line rate of the interface then how things will be processed by the router,

also please elaborate for me application experience  

if the traffic excess it will be dropped. you will see performance issues.

you can see logs based on the log config.

BB

Dear balaji,

I do understand that i will see the traffic dropped but my question is why such architecture ?? Cisco is blindly assuming that the router will never receives a line rate traffic on his interfaces or there is a maths behind this.

Please elaborate

Thanks

Bceause of flexibility, so that you do not required to change the hardware while your WAN requirement increases.

I understand your question, This what it is as product.

BB

The reason for this architecture, in prior ISR series, throughput might vary quite a lot depending on router configuration and traffic attributes. With the 4K ISR series, Cisco "caps" throughput at a level that the router can almost always support, regardless of router configuration and traffic attributes.

As to why Cisco WAN routers (quite often) have LAN (generally Ethernet) interfaces with capacity far in excess of the router's overall throughput capacity, that's generally due to WAN link capacities being much less that LAN links. I.e. they are WAN routers, not LAN routers.

For Cisco routers that have the throughput capacity to support multiple gig interfaces, you often need to get into the ASR 1K series.

Dear thanks for the reply and explanation.

what do you mean by Cisco "caps" , how many  queues are supported by ISR interfaces

"caps" - i.e. an overall/aggregate bandwidth limit (license enforced) that the device will allow. This is documented for the device - on its datasheets.

How many queues per interface? Lots! Usually more than most will ever need. CBWFQ might support about a thousand(?).

[edit]

PS:

I've just read up on the "Boost" license that Georg mentions.  Basically, that looks like it removes the performance cap imposed by software license.  I.e. the device will have variable (or non-deterministic in Cisco speak) performance and operate much like the prior gen of ISRs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: