thanks

mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

abhischa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mahesh,

I believe, Cisco 7941, 7961 and 7970 IP phones use the SEP format. Like wise Cisco 7940 and 7960 use SIP format.

This is just a way of identifying the IP phone connected.

Cheers,

Abhishek.

View solution in original post

Hi,

It stands for "Selsius Ethernet Phone" and is left-over from when Cisco bought the Selsius company, the following is from Wikipedia:

"Cisco acquired SCCP technology when it acquired Selsius Corporation in 1998.[2] As a remnant of the Selsius origin of the current Cisco IP phones, the  default device name format for registered Cisco phones with CallManager  is SEP -- as in Selsius Ethernet Phone -- followed by the MAC address. Cisco also has marketed a Skinny-based softphone called Cisco IP Communicator."

Many thanks

Jonathan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

abhischa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mahesh,

I believe, Cisco 7941, 7961 and 7970 IP phones use the SEP format. Like wise Cisco 7940 and 7960 use SIP format.

This is just a way of identifying the IP phone connected.

Cheers,

Abhishek.

Hi Abhishek.,

thanks for reply  so do you know what is full form of SEP ?

thanks

mahesh

Hi,

It stands for "Selsius Ethernet Phone" and is left-over from when Cisco bought the Selsius company, the following is from Wikipedia:

"Cisco acquired SCCP technology when it acquired Selsius Corporation in 1998.[2] As a remnant of the Selsius origin of the current Cisco IP phones, the  default device name format for registered Cisco phones with CallManager  is SEP -- as in Selsius Ethernet Phone -- followed by the MAC address. Cisco also has marketed a Skinny-based softphone called Cisco IP Communicator."

Many thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Many thanks for great info.

much appreciated.

sincerely

mahesh

SEP stands for Selsius Ethernet Phone, which was the original company that created Call Manager.  Cisco later acquired this company but the SEP from the original company was retained.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card