cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what exactly happens when i give a command "ip routing" to a 3750 switch?

kindly provide me a detail explanation.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

DarylBrooks
Level 1
Level 1

This is a global command which will enable Layer 3 routing on your switch. This will allow communication between VLANs on that switch through Layer 3 protocols.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How detailed?

As Daryl notes, it "transforms" a L2 switch to a L3 switch, i.e. the switch can now route packets.

By default, the switch will route between all active L3 interfaces, either SVIs or routed ports.

The switch will support static route statements.

The switch will usually support one or more dynamic routing protocols.

Basically, the switch also becomes a router while not loosing its L2 capabilities.

Daryl and Joseph make important points. I would like to approach the answer from a different perspective. Before using ip routing the switch is forwarding using only layer 2 information. For every frame entering the switch it looks at the destination mac address and determines how to forward toward that mac address. After enabling ip routing the switch is forwarding using both layer 2 and layer 3 information. Now when a frame enters the switch it will check the destination IP address and if it is remote it will look for a next hop to use in forwarding. If the destination IP address is local then the switch will look at the destination mac address  and look for a way to forward toward that mac address.

The other important change is that when configured as a layer 2 switch the switch used its configured default gateway to forward packets originated by the switch. When IP routing is enabled the switch stops using its configured default gateway and begins using any IP routes that it has (could be static routes configured or dynamic routes leaned from a routing protocol).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco