Replies

What is inside a console cable?

ccnaluna93
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt..

What is inside a console cable (Rollover) Rj45 to DB9 ?? I mean the blue cable

This one : https://www.amazon.com/Generic-7-Cisco-Console-RJ45-to-DB9/dp/B000GL3MOY

is there UTP inside?

is twisted inside that thin cable? Is untwisted?

Hope you can help me, Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the "flat" blue cable you're showing, suspect it's not TP.  It might be shielded, but I doubt it.

Remember this is a "lobotomized" RS-232 cable.

I believe the term Cisco used to use was a "rollover cable", as in the old days they used to ship a blue cable with RJ45 on both ends, and provide both a DB9 and DB25 serial to RJ45 plug.  The cable was flat, so pinout on THAT cable was 8-1 7-2 6-3 5-4 etc.  The "magic" pinning was all done in the plug.

These days, the cable (if provided) assumes nobody uses DB25 any more, and has integrated the rollover cable and plug  as a single lower-cost unit; but it really isn't "standard" and never was TP.

Of passing interest:

- Some other non-cisco devices DO have an RJ-45 serial interface, and the Cisco blue cable may work.

- If it isn't long enough, it's easy enough to get a RJ-45 coupler and normal Ethernet cable (even up to 40 feet or so if necessary) so you can have your laptop on a desk or whatever rather than precariously balanced in a tight communications room.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card