cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the Best Switch to use with 2-4 10 gig SFP+ uplinks and gig ethernet interfaces?

andrewpaulsen
Level 1
Level 1

What is the Best Switch to use with 2-4 10 gig SFP+ uplinks and gig ethernet interfaces?

I have looked at the 3850 Series switches, 4900 series and the 3900 series. 

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want up to 4 SFP+ ports, then the 3850 will do. 

Cisco will be announcing an optional module soon (rumour stated December 2014) which will support four (4) SFP+ ports. 

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can also use the new 3650 series:

link to data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-729449.html

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Best" doing what?

The different series are optimal for different usages; and price is often an import attribute too.  You only mentioned 2-4 SPF+ ports and gig (copper?) Ethernet interfaces, but that encompasses switches from the 2960S-24TD-L up to the large chassis switches, like a 4510, 6513, 68xx with IAs, Nexus 7000, etc.  (Oh, if you're wondering about the latter, large chassis switches uplinks might be 2-4 SFP+, on their sup cards.  I do work with both little to large chassis switches for edge devices.)

Do you need L3 or just L2?  Do you need PoE (or it's later more powerful variants, PoE+, UPOE)?  How many edge ports do you need?  What kind of devices/hosts will be connected to the gig Ethernet interfaces?  Expected traffic and usage patterns?

If you can define your requirements, we might be able to suggest particular series of switches.

PS:

BTW, 3900 series switch?

thanks for the information.

to fill in the details this is for a ISP Core upgrade where we are bring in a 10 GIG fiber link to the core and then distributing it to multiple off site locations with 1Gig fiber to these locations. I've been tasked with finding the hardware needed to accomplish this task and so i'm at the point of a financial budget where i need to get 2 BGP routers and at least 2 if not 4 switches that can handle this uplink and distribution 

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I think Joseph has covered it well.

Using your requirements, there are several models which fit the bill but they will vary in cost, performance and features.

If its just an access switch for hosts then you could look at the 2960s/x range.

If you need Layer 3 or Poe+ then maybe look at the 3850's.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card