cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the purpose of the ROMMON F1 and F2 and Gold regions?

000node000
Level 1
Level 1

On my 6509-E, all the modules show this:

Region F1: INVALID

Region F2: INVALID

Currently running ROMMON from S (Gold) region

Is this alright? Is the Gold region like a default region where ROMMON is always installed. And are F1 and F2 just storage partitions that are available to hold backup copies of the ROMMON? From what I read, it sounds like I can copy ROMMON images to F1 and F2, either the same version as the Gold region or different versions. Is that correct? Why would I want to copy different ROMMON versions to F1 and F2? For testing, or??

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version of IOS are you running?  If you are running an older version, you can upgrade the IOS, and that should also upgrade the Rommon for you.  If not, you can just upgrade Rommon by itself.

HTH

I'm at 12.2(33)SXI4a or something like that. Yes, I can upgrade to a higher IOS. I have also read what seems to suggest that an IOS upgrade will also upgrade the ROMMON's.

But, still, what are these F1, F2 and Gold regions for? What practical use for them?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

They allow you to have newer ROMMON code.  Having more than one, should allow you to select which you want to boot with (the default boots with the last one loaded).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco