Views
Helpful
Replies

what is Unstructured E1 (G.703)

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I am wondering whats exaclty does "Unstructured E1 (G.703) Support" .

I am refering to this url http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html , table 2 , where its the only difference between  VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 & VWIC2-1MFT-G703.

please help

regards

Neo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Neo,

the difference beetween the cards was explined multiple times in the posts.

An application for unstructured E1 is Data Transmission.

I have already stated that in some countries, unstructured E1 leased lines are less expensive than structured ones.

For those applications, with that module in a router,

you do not need an  external Modem with it's powersupply and CAB-X21T, so it takes fewer space.

Also, Cisco supports most tele- and data-communication standards from IEEE, ITU/CCITT, ...

not only by participating in the standardisation process but also in creating Modules compliant to those standards.

There *is* a (shrinking) market for G.703 Data trasmission, that module is Cisco's Product for it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi

Unstructured(unframed/clear channel) E1 is not using the timeslot 0 for sygnaling , this way you can use all the circuit bandwidth 2,048Mbps

Dan

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

I am wondering whats exaclty does "Unstructured E1 (G.703) Support" .

I am refering to this url http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html , table 2 , where its the only difference between  VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 & VWIC2-1MFT-G703.

please help

regards

Neo

Neo,

G.703 specifies an unframed E1 - Meaning that there is no framing, therefore are no timeslots. a 703 E1 is going to get used for data, a g.703 unstructured E1 cannot provide voice service.

Check out the below link :-

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/12_2z/12_2zj/feature/guide/gthwecan.html

Although unstructured G.703 operation is particular to E1 operation, the VWIC2-1/2MFT-G703 cards also support structured T1 operation and E1 also.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

I am lil confused over here i would like to  rephrase my question whats the difference between card VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 & VWIC2-2MFT-G703 .

AFAIK if a card supports E1/T1 that means it can handle either data or voice , then whats the added advantage of supporting Unstructured E1 (G.703)

regards

Neo

Neo,

indeed the value-added feature ist what you mentioned in your post:

> AFAIK if a card supports E1/T1 that means it can handle either data or voice ,

> then whats the added advantage of supporting Unstructured E1 (G.703)

G.703 is an ITU formerly known as CCITT (telephony)-Standard for 2048000 bit/s PDH services.

One device must supply clocking, the other device picks the clocking from the line.

So the clock-generators on the VWIC...-G.703 must be more accurate than on the without -G.703,

which gets reflected in the pricing (and tells you why you should not use an el-cheopo-lookalike module).

G.704 is also an ITU standard. It is based on G.703, slices it (under lost of 64000bit/s) into 31 64000bit/s "Frames".

Normally this is used for ISDN/PRI Telephone access.

It picks the clocking allways from the line.

In Europe (E1 :-) on an PMX (PRI) one of the frames is used for signalling

(here it is the frame 15 in the middle, not frame 0 !)  the calls

and the other Frames ar for one telephone-call (or even isdn-data-calls).

For Data Communication, you can order both.

The G.703 Version is cheaper, the G.704 version is more expensive.

But, hidden in the framing of G.704, the carrier can do some kind of diagnostics to see where the circuit fails.

A Special Data-Application is to map just one or a few Frames to a destionation.

Here, the VWIC-MFT... ist not so good as the good old NM-1CE1B.

The VWIC can only have two "channelgroups" while the NM-1CE1B can have 31 (one for each frame)

so your telco can map ISDN-BRI-Datachannel from Remote-Location to one Frame/channel on the central site onto one PRI .

Strange that the Voice application of that VWic _can_ use each channel seperately.

But those are historicall issues, with broadband and xdsl those technique is disappearing.

We did prefer external Modem G703/G704 to X.21 for data applications and  a WIC-1T

since the overvoltage from a lightning storm kills just that modem

and not the complete router with the VWIC inside.

Hello J-marenda,

very good post rated as it deserves

Best Regards

Giuseppe

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please help on this.

regards

Neo

You have been spoon-fed the answer, what else do you require?

Hi cisco@learn

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 & VWIC2-1MFT-G703 can support Voice & Data over E1
     but VWIC2-xxx-G703 can support unframe[sync&Alarm].

Hi joe Lazzaro

Good post

^,^

Hi Don,

>> VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 & VWIC2-1MFT-G703 can support Voice & Data over E1  but VWIC2-xxx-G703 can support unframe[sync&Alarm].

Please let me know  whats the use of supporting unframe ??       if any how a card is supporting Voice and Data then whats will be the advantage of supporting Unframe ?

regards

Neo  

Neo,

the difference beetween the cards was explined multiple times in the posts.

An application for unstructured E1 is Data Transmission.

I have already stated that in some countries, unstructured E1 leased lines are less expensive than structured ones.

For those applications, with that module in a router,

you do not need an  external Modem with it's powersupply and CAB-X21T, so it takes fewer space.

Also, Cisco supports most tele- and data-communication standards from IEEE, ITU/CCITT, ...

not only by participating in the standardisation process but also in creating Modules compliant to those standards.

There *is* a (shrinking) market for G.703 Data trasmission, that module is Cisco's Product for it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card