cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What options I have if I try to limit the bandwidth on router interface 887/899?

Zagam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I need to limit the bandwidth on interface router, I try to limit the outside traffic in my router at 25% of 100%. What options I have?

Any thoughts?

10 Replies 10

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can create a policy-map with a class-default to apply it to all traffic and use police rate or shape average percent.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Is this configuration valid?

R1(config)#access-list 101 permit tcp 7.97.110.32 0.0.0.255 7.96.3.0 0.0.0.255

R1(config)#class-map LIMIT
R1(config)#match access-group 101
R1(config)#policy-map LIMIT
R1(config)#class-map LIMIT
R1(config)#bandwidth percent 25

R1(config)#int Gi9.
R1(config-if)#service-policy output LIMIT

Regards!

Bandwidth command will kick in only when there'll be congestion and also it's not limiting the traffic to the value set but it says this is the minimum of bandwidth for that traffic.
I recommend using police command.

Also this limitation is for Wan, i would then configure a hierarchical qos model to have the parent policing all traffic based on your bandwidth wan plan.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@Zagam  that creates a guaranatee of bandwidth rather than an upper limit.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The abswer us different for each router.You haven't quite given enough information to really help.  Is this being done on a DSL or an Ethernet WAN interface?

In short, you can use the old fashioned rate-limit command.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/qos/command/reference/fqos_r/qrfcmd8.html

Hi there!

I have this configuration in Router 899, on Gigabith interface, and is WAN.

Also I have this configuration in Router 877 on Dialer interface and is WAN also.

Regards!

What config do you have the rate-limit or policy-map?

And if you have them, are these configs working or not?

Thanks
Francesco

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
" try to limit the outside traffic in my router at 25% of 100%"

100% of interface bandwidth, or 100% of permitted/available (WAN) bandwidth?

"outside traffic" coming in or going out or both?

As others have noted, you might use a CBWFQ policer (works for ingress or egress), a CBWFQ shaper (egress only) or perhaps (if still supported on your IOS) an interface rate-limiter (functionally also a policer). As also noted by others, full QoS features, on the 800 series, are only available on "WAN" interfaces.

Hi there!

*100% of permitted/available (WAN) bandwidth.

*outside traffic

How can do that? some document for do this?

Regards!

If your outside bandwidth is less than port bandwidth, all you need to do is "know" the maximum and police or shape for that. For example, if your WAN interface was a 10 Mbps Ethernet connection, but with only 2 Mbps provided to use you would police or shape for 20% or 2 Mbps.

As to documentation, your IOS manuals, especially the configuration guide generally has a chapter on QoS. For CBWFQ it would be very much like your OP except instead of a bandwidth statement you would use an police or shape statement (also perhaps without using an ACL and using just the default class).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco