cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What to use for a core switch- Catalyst 3560G 48 port PoE (much older), or new SG 350 28MP PoE?

DavidTesch7238
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got four new Cisco SG 350 28MP PoE switches to replace some older ones, and need to decide which switch to use as my core switch.  I currently have a Catalyst 3560G 48-port switch (that has to be returned to a vendor) as my core switch (for five other switches).  My choices are a  Catalyst 3560G 48-port PoE switch (pretty old), or one of the Cisco SG 350 28MP PoE switches.  I'm pretty sure the 3560G would suffice, but I would like to be able to use the SG 350 if that is possible.

Please let me know what you think.  I would truly appreciate your advice on this matter!

3 Replies 3

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

If Im not mistaken you SG350 can do VLAN routing if yes I would go for it because it's newer so probability of failure is smaller and also have a little bit more performance than 3650G so I would go for it but it's still up to you what you prefer.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you replacing all 3560 with SG350 with no other option you can make a Core kind of setup, but SG is for small business switches.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like Kubn2, considering how old the 3650G is, I too would lean toward using a new switch. However, if possible, I would suggest a non-edge switch for a core switch (i.e. shouldn't need PoE ports on a core), and perhaps a stackable model so you can provide redundancy in the core (can also be done using a non-stackable switch, but will still require two switches).
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card