cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is arp table and MAC table and Vlan info located ?

fsblumkv54
Level 1
Level 1

Where is arp table and MAC table and vlan info located ?

regards .

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Respectively, In CPU memory, and in TCAM memory.

Are you a student? This kind of info is covered in books.

thank you for reply .yes , im a student . but I couldnt find the information .

arp table in CPU memory ? is this deleted if the power down ?

also how about vlan infos ?

Hello Jackson,

The "CPU memory" shall be understood simply as the RAM into which the CPU has ordinary access just like in normal computers. ARP cache is indeed stored in CPU memory. MAC address table is stored in specialized hardware sometimes called a CAM, Content Addressable Memory, that provides very fast lookups. Paolo mentioned a TCAM which stands for Ternary CAM. This type of memory can provide exact-match or similar-match lookups (in similar-match lookups, you can define which bits can be ignored when performing lookups). While TCAM can be used to stored MAC addresses, it is more typically used to store IP address prefixes to facilitate routing and ACL operation.

Both CPU memory and CAM/TCAM contents are lost if the power is disconnected.

VLAN information is a more complex issue. A VLAN is defined by its name, number, state (active / locally shutdown / VTP suspended), type (primary, secondary isolated, secondary community, RSPAN), etc. - all these information are stored in the CPU memory and also in the vlan.dat file in the FLASH that is loaded during switch bootup. However, their working copy is stored in the CPU memory. In addition, selected data about these VLANs are downloaded to the ASICs of the switch that perform actual switching.

Best regards,

Peter

Paolo, this kind of answer doesn't help anyone and is the reason people hate reaching out to the NOC.

You're posting a comment (your very first posting), on your perceived quality of a posted response, posted over seven years ago?

At the time Paolo posted that reply, these forums were dedicated to operational issues/questions rather than student learning (since then, I believe the "learning" forums have been merged into this one). So, this might account for Paolo's somewhat terse reply but even if his reply wasn't as helpful as Peter's, I'm unsure I would agree his reply was totally unhelpful or the same as reaching out to a NOC. (I also don't consider all NOC's "bad" to reach out to.)

He asked if OP was a student, which OP confirmed in his follow-up posting, the one to which Peter replied, who at that time, I believe/recall, teaching in a university setting, perhaps one reason he (Peter) was/is so good at providing excellent detailed replies.

If you're wondering why I'm posting to your post, well since Paolo hasn't posted anything in almost a year, he likely won't respond and considering all he contributed to these forums (there's a reason he was in the first set of hall-of-fame forum posters), I thought his contributions merited some response to yours. Also if you're wondering, we're not friends, in fact, years ago, I would occasionally "joust" with him on some posted issue, but I do believe his contributions were generally helpful, not only to the OP, but to other readers.

BTW, don't think I don't welcome you to these forums, because I do welcome you, but in this case I do think, again, perhaps you overstated a negative on Paolo's posting.

Joseph, I mean no offense to you or Paolo.  I did not challenge his knowledge or any contribution to this board he has made and would not do so.

All I can say is that I am a user of Cisco Switches, on the AV-IT side of things.  I came to this link via a Google Search looking for help on the very subject matter the student asked for.  Happy to find the link I was personally taken a back by that response.  Regardless of the historical context of this board, that sort of answer doesn't do any good.

I wish you and Paolo all the best and did not respond out of snark, I truly was bothered by it as someone that is trying to educate myself.

I wasn't offended, nor thought your posting was snarky, I thought/took it as sincere. However, I was most surprised you posted such a comment to such an old posting, although perhaps you didn't notice how old it was.(?) That was the main reason I posted my comment, as, again, I doubt Paolo will respond and/or even "see" it, and I didn't see your posting as of being of general benefit and also being a bit severe. Again, though, I'll be first to admin there is night and day difference between Paolo's and Peter's response approaches, but that's actually typical of both of them. (The latter you wouldn't know unless you've a long time reader of these forums. If not, or if not even a recent close follower, you probably also wouldn't know Paolo, although inactive for almost a year, is still ranked #6 for all time. The latter doesn't automatically preclude constructive critique, but perhaps one should be even more careful insuring a critique is constructive.)

Long time ago, in a galaxy not so far away, I'll be first to note that many of Paolo's responses were, might we say "terse". That could be due to his personality, the expectation the forums (then) weren't also oriented for beginners, and also the fact that the Paolo (or us) wasn't being paid for his time for these responses; all possible reasons for his "terseness". He may have thought the OP didn't seem to do much due diligence, as such basic information is available in many books (and also perhaps hadn't done any simple Internet content searching). (If the OP had mentioned, like he did in his follow-up post, he was student and unable to find information, or better yet, was looking for a better or alternative explanation for further clarification, he might have received a response, like Peter's, from the get go.)

Not ignoring the prior, I truly appreciate you're last response, hope my responses do not dissuade you from further participation (or your own contributions) and further hope you find these forums helpful.

The forgoing aside, you say you too were looking for more information on these subjects. Have you found the information you're looking for? If not, don't let either of my responses deter you from posting your own question(s).

Again, thank you for your follow-on posting, hope to see more of you on these forums!

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ARP Table= CPU Memory

MAC table = Special hardware chip called CAM

VLAN Info= Stored in the flash memory in VLAN.DAT fule but while the system will start then cache fetched from vlan.dat file to CPU memory.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card