Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is the startup config stored?

andrew.andy316
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if the startup for ISR routers are stored on the compact flash?

Reason being say for example my 2811 router fails, would I be able to eject the compact flash and insert it into another 2811 router and all is well? I can replace the defective one with this one?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The startup config is on the NVRAM. The answer is no, you will have to manually copy it to the flash. A good practice is always back it up to a common network drive like TFTP/FTP server.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The startup config is on the NVRAM. The answer is no, you will have to manually copy it to the flash. A good practice is always back it up to a common network drive like TFTP/FTP server.

Regards,

jerry

Hey Jerry,

Thanks much for the prompt response. Going by what you said I should be able to backup that config to a TFTP/FTP server and if needs be copy that file from the TFTP server to a replacement device's NVRAM, saving me the trouble of pasting back line by line the configuration.

Yes, you just need the minimum command on the routers to copy the config back.

On the 2800's, you can copy it to flash also, here is the command and how to check it

copy startup-config flash:START.txt

more flash:START.txt

HTH

jerry

Thanks again Jerry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card