Views
Helpful
Replies

which cable will be used between, pc - patch panel - router's console port

qiblatain1400
Level 1
Level 1

We have a lab for the students.

We have connected the students pc with the Routers console in order to have the configuration practice.

We used the converter on the com1 port of the pcs and used the rollover cable having RJ45 on both ends to connect the console port of the Routers.

Now the teacher wants to use the path panel between the Pcs and the Routers console port.

I have two ways to do this.

First: To cut my rollover cable at one end and punch it in the patch panel.After that use another cable having RJ45 on both ends to connect from the patch panel port to the Routers console port.

Second: I do not cut my rollover cable and use my cable having both endS with RJ45 to connect from PC's com1 port converter to patch panel port. After that use another cable with one end only having RJ45.One end of this cable is used to punch it in the patch panel and other end having RJ45 to connect to the console port of the Router.

Pleae guide me which option is the best practice.

My second question, the most import is regarding my two points described above.

First: Regarding the first case, i) which cable will be used between the Com1 port of the PC and the Patch Panel backside in order to punch the cable ii) which cable will be used between the patch panel front side having RJ45 port and the Router's Console port.

Second: Regarding the second case,  i) which cable will be used between the Com1 port of the PC and the Patch Panel front side having RJ45 port ii) which cable will be used between the patch panel backside having punching and the Router's Console port.

Waiting for your quick response.

Regards

NAVEED

1 Reply 1

yogaville
Level 1
Level 1

What ever way you choose keep in mind the roll over cable will have to be preceeded or followed by a straight through cable to maintain the correct paths. I would suggest not cutting the roll over cable to ensure it's integrity for future classes and to prevent getting your wires crossed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card