Views
Helpful
Replies

which direction to apply service policy on interface

EddyFonseca3815
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have a Cat 9200-48p switch and I have migrated most of the qos setting from a 3750 switch.  I have been reading about qos on the cat 9200 but I would like to know which direction so I place the service policy in.  I want to tag the traffic from the Phone/PC -> switch port -> MDF -> core.   but It seems the 3750 had the traffic policed on the inbound or in direction.  I would like to know which direction I need to direct my flow or if I was the traffic I would be standing on the PC side looking into the switch port or am I looking on the switch side looking at the traffic coming into the port from the PC / Phone. 

If you have some I deal I need to view this traffic so I can place my phone and video traffic in the priority que. .

Thank you

Eddy

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your policy is managing priorities (for dequeuing), you'll need an "out" policy.

For policing, tagging, etc., depending on the device, this might be done with an "in" and/or "out" policy.  (I have no direct hands-on with Catalyst 9Ks, so cannot say what limitations for tagging limitation they may, or may not, have.)

EddyFonseca3815
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco states if you are Que you sent it out direction but if you police or shaping its goes inward  but I do not know which perspective I need to ref.  if someone can tell me how I should look at the flow as a reference to the port that will help.

[Source device ("out")] ==>> [("in" port) transit switch/route ("out" port)] ==>> [("in") destination device]

Does the above help?

based on this if I want to que my traffic for Voice and video which direction do I place the service policy on the interface.  Say I have Gi1/0/1 .  I would assume its out but since this is que and it has a police policy in it do I still send it out or in. 

this is my policy

class-map match-any CLASS-VOICE
match access-group name ACL-VOICE

ip access-list extended ACL-VOICE
remark PHONE-VOICE
permit udp any any range 16384 32767 dscp ef

class-map match-any CLASS-VIDEO
match access-group name ACL-VIDEO

ip access-list extended ACL-VIDEO
remark endpoints  H323 media
permit udp any any range 2326 2487 dscp af41

class-map match-all CLASS-TELEPRESENCE
match access-group name ACL-TELEPRESENCE

ip access-list extended ACL-TELEPRESENCE
permit udp any any range 16384 16390 dscp cs4

class-map match-all CLASS-SIGNALING
match access-group name ACL-SIGNALING

ip access-list extended ACL-SIGNALING
remark H323 / Q931 / H225
permit udp any any eq 1719 dscp cs3

class-map match-all CLASS-DEFAULT
match access-group name ACL-DEFAULT
!
ip access-list extended ACL-DEFAULT
permit ip any any

policy-map POLICY-INGRESS
class CLASS-VOICE
priority level 1
set dscp ef
police 256000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class CLASS-VIDEO
priority level 2
set dscp af41
police 768000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class CLASS-TELEPRESENCE
set dscp af41
police 5000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class CLASS-WEBEX
set dscp af41
police 5000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class CLASS-SIGNALING
set ip dscp cs3
police 128000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class CLASS-DEFAULT
set ip dscp default

Int Gi1/0/1

service-policy (Out/IN) POLICY-INGRESS

Phone/PC <==> Switch port <===> Network <==> Destination

Any time your policy deals with queue management, it needs to be an "out" policy.

As your policy has two priority level LLQ, it must be an "out" policy.

Often, and again in your case, some applications need QoS support in both directions, e.g. VoIP, so all your interfaces between hosts should have an "out" policy".

That said, sometimes such policies need to be "unique" per direction between hosts, or designed to be dual purpose.

This because some application QoS needs are symmetrical, e.g. VoIP, while others are asymmetrical, e.g. video streaming.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: