Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is the best way to block the website on 2800

Srinivas N
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I have a 2800 router and tried so many ways to block the unwanted sites on my office network..........

Like access list ip based, null0 routing and policy map.........

Faced issues with below config

1. Creating Access-list........ very deficulty to block the sites........ with https those sites will be opend, and we cant block all the IPs

2. Creating null0 routing...... I it also a bit deficult the block maximum sites.......becuase we can't fiend all IPs for those sites

3. Policy map.. with policy map we can only 1site we can block, but not more than one........

I heard that port based routing or port based access-list are the best ways to stop the websites in my local network..

for this one i need to map the site to unsued ports then i need to null rouging or need to create the access-list........

Plz advice me which is best way and what are the config steps?

Thanks & Regards,
Srinivas. N.       

Thanks & Regards, Srinivas. N.
3 Replies 3

Guess, you want to filter the sites based on URL, right?

this is possible with application gateway firewall, on router you can either block/allow the sites on ip/port basis. If you have list with you what URL/Sites/IP has to be filter then you got two below possibilities -

1. either you can allow all that Sites/URL you know on port basis but it will deny everything else (if you won't add permit any any statement in ACL)

2. or you block those sites only what you know on port basis and allow everything else.

Please update what you looking for -

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

By far the easiest way is using a Web Proxy like Squid and do transparent proxying with WCCP between the router and the Proxy.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hmm, can only block 1 site with a policy-map, what's you policy-map configuration look like?

As the other posters have described, dedicated appliance would probably be the best solution, but perhaps a variation of what you've already tried on your 2800 would be using NBAR to look deeper into some packet and determine whether you want to drop them; for example, HTTP URLs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: