cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which single network command will start ospf on all interfaces of a router?

libra_ali786
Level 1
Level 1

I just red the below question and its answer. Please explain some one about that. also explain what is 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255

which single network command will start ospf on all interfaces of a router ?

answer :     netwrok 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

7 Replies 7

Hi

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 command will enable OSPF in all interfaces.

You can understand this wild card representation as all interfaces.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Will you explain about 255.255.255.255 with little detail?

This means all bits set on the network side will be allowed.

Let say, if you use 0.255.255.255 then you are saying the first octect can't be changed.

This is wild card mask concept.

one last question. If i want to exclude one interface with passive command then what will happen ? How ?

Then Passive command will overwrite the default command. Setting an interface as passive disables the sending of routing updates on that interface, hence adjacencies will not be formed in OSPF. However, the particular subnet will continue to be advertised to other interfaces.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

The proper way to do this is configure "passive interface default" which will enable passive interface in all interface.

This command is enabled globally and you need to apply once.

Then, you can pick up the interface you want and issue the command "no passive interface"

This is the easier and secure way to manage router with multiples interfaces.

But what will happen my " netwrok 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 " command in regards when i need to exclude one interface as passive ?
They exclude the specific interface ? and an a futured added interface automatically part of ospf ?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card