Views
Helpful
Replies

Which switch at the core layer?

Malik_zoubir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, 

We are about to lunch a new branch for our corporation. This new branch will have about 100 Users and I am asked to look for switches. At the core layer I went for the 3850 12 T Stacked. But I am a little bit confused about the price and if it goes over our needs. 

So please help me with your advises. What can be a good core/distrib switch for a collapsed archi? 

Thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looking Long Term Plan, i would prefer to go to Cisco 9300 (it come as same price as 3850 with more enhanced features).

if not still Cat 38XX also a good option. but look for Long term support to protect your investment.

I know budget is concern here, if not As core suggest always 4500 for your requiremetn, proven technolgy all over the big network.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello

i wouldn’t really know about pricing but I would say 3850s are cheaper than a chassis like 4500 with additional line cards

As for architectural performance for 100 users it depends on what you are going to run on your network and connect this core/dis/access but personally I would say the 3850 is applicable hardware 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, The network will run an ERP a long with Active directory and an exchange servers A wifi network, about 6 AP and a controller.
Thx

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

at the end of the day, its always about dollars, with such a small network, i wonder if you really need a core. i mean, why dont you deploy like 2 stack of 3850's,. unless you need access switches at separate locations/floors/buildings, in which case you can spread out your switches

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looking Long Term Plan, i would prefer to go to Cisco 9300 (it come as same price as 3850 with more enhanced features).

if not still Cat 38XX also a good option. but look for Long term support to protect your investment.

I know budget is concern here, if not As core suggest always 4500 for your requiremetn, proven technolgy all over the big network.

BB

Hi, You read my mind. Cause my supplier gave this option too. But when you say long term plan, what do you mean?
Thx

Cisco Long term plan as i understand they more focus on Cat 9K, and eventually 3850 go EoL.

BB

Hello

@balaji.bandi wrote:

Cisco 9300 (it come as same price as 3850 with more enhanced features). 

@balaji.bandi - This is something I didn’t expect that the cat 9ks are in the the same pricing even though the 3850s are near eol- hence i didn’t mention it - good to know though 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver  - yes they are same price as 3850, We did some BoM, and you also DNA options depends on requirement.

BB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For only 100 users, you might even consider just using all L2 switches.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card