cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why I was taught that MAC Address is fixed?

Iluvnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

I was taught that the MAC Address is physical and cannot be changed. But, it seems like MAC Address can be changed for different uses. For example, b0 in the first octet is 0 for unicast purpose and 1 for multi/broadcast purpose. MAC Address can be changed according to needs right? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"I was taught that the MAC Address is physical and cannot be changed."

Not correct. There is a globally unique MAC assigned to every NIC interface, but it can often be overridden for a NIC (see LAA) and there are unicast, multicast and broadcast MACs. The latter two MAC type are assigned/used by need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

MAC address in the source field of ethernet frame cant be changed, and what you talk about returns to Dr.Stephan Deering story back to 1990s.

Hi

A MAC address is unique around the world but in some situations you could require change it, for example you can change the MAC address associated to the Ethernet interface, for example:

interface fa0/0

mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"I was taught that the MAC Address is physical and cannot be changed."

Not correct. There is a globally unique MAC assigned to every NIC interface, but it can often be overridden for a NIC (see LAA) and there are unicast, multicast and broadcast MACs. The latter two MAC type are assigned/used by need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: