Helpful
Replies

WIC-4ESW issue

Ryan YC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Please help me, 

I install a WIC-4ESW card in Cisco Router 1760 then I got the following error messages:

*Mar  1 00:00:09.247: %ESWMOD-3-NOT_RESPONDING: Ethernet Switch Module is not responding

*Mar  1 00:00:09.247: %ESWMOD-3-INITFAILURE: Initialization failure - device initialization error

I was request RMA with vendor, but the replacement has same issue with above error messages, 

I tried change IOS, but It is output same error messages, but I install WIC-1T into the same slot, it is correctly detected.

If you had similar experience, please help me. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

so sorry to hear that.

Yes indeed then its a slot problem on your router.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Based on the error msgs:

*Mar  1 00:00:09.247: %ESWMOD-3-INITFAILURE: Initialization failure - device initialization error
*Mar  1 00:00:09.251: %ESWMOD-3-NOT_RESPONDING: Ethernet Switch Module is not responding

*Mar  1 00:00:09.251: %ESWMOD-3-NOT_RESPONDING: Ethernet Switch Module is not responding

*Mar  1 00:00:09.251: %ESWMOD-3-INITFAILURE: Initialization failure - Switch driver setup error
*Mar  1 00:00:15.313: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0/0, changed state to up

It indicates the hardware issue. Could you please check with other good module?

HTH

Dear InayathUlla Sharieff,

Thank you for your response.

I have RMA the WIC-4ESW and vendor return a good unit for me,

then I installed the replacement into the same slot, but It has same problem.

I also installed a WIC-1T into same slot, but It can work well.

Now, I am searching other Router for test it....

Yung,

Based on the below logs I still doest have much trust on this card.

*Mar  1 00:00:09.247: %ESWMOD-3-INITFAILURE: Initialization failure - device initialization error

*Mar  1 00:00:09.251: %ESWMOD-3-INITFAILURE: Initialization failure - Switch driver setup error

Here is what I can suggest:

If you have another same device then try to insert this module on that device and check if the module comes up ? This would prove you that the module is good if it doesnt come up then you need to think that the module is DOA.

HTH

What version of code are you running ?

Dear glen.grant,

I used following IOS

12.3.4 XK4      adv-securityk9

12.3.7 XR7      adv-securityk9

12.3.11 YZ2   adv-securityk9

12.4.23b          adv-securityk9

12.3.4 XG5      entbase

12.4.25d          adv-securityk9

all version of code has same issue. 

As suggested could you please try another module?

I don't found other 17xx series Router in my company for test.

I will borrow a good WIC-4ESW module from my vendor and I will update the test result late.  

unfortunately... I borrow another WIC-4ESW from our vendor but Router still shows error messages.

I am suspecting my Router 1760 has some trouble... (tears)

so sorry to hear that.

Yes indeed then its a slot problem on your router.

I can use WIC-4ESW after change a 1760 Router from vendor, 

The older 1760 looks like slot problem. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: