cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a cisco nexus 7k try to boot from a usb drive?

hugoreyes83
Level 1
Level 1

Will a cisco nexus 7k try to boot from a usb drive that has nothing but config files? if so, will boot process stop as usb drive will not have any OS files?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your boot mode you like to boot,  you can load images on USB to Copy into flash - always suggest to Boot from flash. 

I never tried it, but you could try copy kickstart and system image to USB disk and try below example :

boot kickstart USB:/n7000-s2-<kickstart image>.bin sup-1
boot system USB:/n7000-s2-<system image>.bin sup-1

if no image available on USB it gets into ROMMON Mode.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Balaji,

thanks for your reply, so basically if a usb is plugged in as the router boots up and this router is not configured to boot from usb the router should boot up normally, correct?

the issue i am facing is that i need to reboot a nexus 7k and during that time a usb drive will be plugged in as i have stored license and config backup on there i just don't want the router to go into rommode or just stop booting as there is a usb drive plugged in.

Thanks for your help

Hugo

I do not believe Nexus has the ability to boot like Pc or any other device boot from USB until unless you have boot variable, it will not boot from USB.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card