Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will this configuration work?

I will configure 14 VLANs in total. I will connect all Firewall Interface to one of the L2 Switch and I will cascade the other L2 Switches with that L2 Switch. In this case, do we need Trunk? Please check if any problem with such configuration.

There will be no L3 switch and the Firewall will do all the routing.

FW-L2 Switch.png

7 Replies 7

Hello,

if the firewall does the inter-Vlan routing, yes, the interface connecting the L2 switch to the firewall must be a trunk.

Thanks a lot for replying. Yes, my WatchGuard firewall supports inter-VLAN routing.

About the trunk part, do I only need to trunk the switches which are directly connected to the firewall?

Hello,

since you mentioned 14 Vlans (which I suppose are distributed across the switches), the links between the switches need to be configured as trunks as well.

What if I create 2 VLAN's per firewall port and trunk it with 7 switches that are directly connected to the firewall.

Then also do I need trunk between distribution and access switches?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what firewall is this ? why do you need so many connection to switch ? why not have single connection to switch with Layer 2 trunk ?

what is the reason behind to connect so many connection to switch ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am not very good at networking. What do you suggest I should do if -

1) I have to create 14 VLAN's

2) I don't have any L3 switch, so routing will be done by the firewall

3) I only have L2 switches to give access to users.

i used WatchGuard ages ago,. I am not an expert look below setup :

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/vlan_example_2vlans_1switch_c.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card