Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 8.1 and IP Address static - strange behaviour - gratuitos ARP

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

we've a L3 infrastructure with different Access VLANs. The IP of the VLAN interface is the default gateway, IPs are released by a DHCP Server and all is working fine. I've tried to setup a static IP on the same subnet as the one belonging to the VLAN and the host Windows 8.1 could easily reach the entire networks.

The problem is happening if I setup a static IP address on a different subnet than the one configued on the VLAN...
here Windows 8.1 are informing me that the IP is duplicate also if there are no IP address on this new subnet... Moreover each IP I set is marked duplicate by the Windows 8.1 client also if there are no other hosts on this LAN...

I've find out that this could be related to gratuitos ARP... I've disabled this command but this problem is still there...

I've also tested with Windows 7.1, which registers the same problem, but XP is working fine...

How can I configure a static IP Address on Win8.1 on a different subnet than the one configured on the VLAN interface and not having this problem?

BR

Omar

2 Replies 2

bhawanishah
Level 1
Level 1

Can you share the Configuration of L3 and Access Switch to which you are connecting the device ?

Hello,

the L3 switch, a stack of 3 switches, has collapsed Access and Distribution role.

It has both L2 VLAN port definition + L3 VLAN SVI acting also as DHCP Server for that VLAN.

Here the configuration you requested which is a standard one:

ip dhcp excluded-address 1.1.1.240 1.1.1.254
!
ip dhcp pool aaaaa
   network 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 1.1.1.254
   dns-server 1.1.10.1
   domain-name aaaa.bbbb
!
interface Vlan10
 description aaaaa
 ip address 1.1.1.254 255.255.255.0

then I've added the command "no ip gratuitous-arps" but nothing changed this behaviuor is still there...

I'm start to think that the problem is maybe correlated to the DHCP functionality on IOS or a "bug"

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: