Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless implementation

jeevak mukadam
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We ard planning to implement wireless connectivity in our office premises.My manager ask me to find out gollowing,

1. Wireless lan controller:that supports upto 50 access points

2. Lighteeight access poimt.

My suggestions.

1. cisco 2500 WLC

2. cisco aironet 1142N AP

Is this write config or suggest if need to change.

Jeevak

8 Replies 8

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Based on requirements 1 and 2 then both those options are fine.

I believe the 2500 series supports upto 50 Access Points so if you wanted to scale past this, it would require a second (or bigger) controller. Ensure you order the 2500 with a 50 AP licence.

Thanks

I believe the 2500 series supports upto 50 Access Points so if you wanted to scale past this

2500 can now support up to 75 AP starting with 7.4.X code.

cisco aironet 1142N AP

Cisco announced the end-of-sale of the 1140 last April 2013.  Look, you're going to get a WLC, you may as well go with the 2600 so you can at least enjoy the benefits of Clean Air.

I strongly recommend you get a wireless site survey done so you will know WHERE to deploy your AP and HOW MANY APs you will need.

You also may want to read this document:  Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G, 7925G-EX, and 7926G Deployment  Guide.  The document is aimed at voice but it will work very well with wireless data.

@ Leo and devils,Thanks for your valueable information.Now currently cisco vendor told it takes a months to deliver all hardware stuff (AP & WLC).Now our management need wireless on urgent basis.Is it possible to configure home wireless router (cisco or belkin) on 2960 switch till the time we get all hardware from vendor.We havent done this before.

Please suggest.

One more thing, does all AP are compatible with all WLC.If not then how we can find that.

@ Leo and devils,Thanks for your valueable information.Now currently cisco vendor told it takes a months to deliver all hardware stuff (AP & WLC).Now our management need wireless on urgent basis.Is it possible to configure home wireless router (cisco or belkin) on 2960 switch till the time we get all hardware from vendor.We havent done this before.

1.  Contact your vendor and ask them "expedite".

2.  You can do autonomous but how can you do this if you are still waiting for the rest of your AP?

One more thing, does all AP are compatible with all WLC.If not then how we can find that.

Yes.  1140 is supported by the WLC.

@ Leo,

We are planning to buy linksys e2100 wireless router just for a month.Its a small home router.need help to configure it.

Thanks

Yeah you need to change your vendor if they are giving you that story.  Have you also looked at the Cisco Meraki solution.  It is actually very awesome and scalable.

@ Mohammed

vendor is cisco official partner and we have check with other vendors also.The minimum time period for hardware delivery is 20 - 30 days in india.

We are planning to buy linksys e2100 wireless router just for a month. its available and get within hrs,Its a small home basic router.Can i use it as AP with trunk port on access switch.

Please suggest.

Hello,

Finally we decided to buy netgear n300 wireless router for a month.Can you suggest any config part.We will connect this router to enduser access switch where access switch has trunk link back to the primary core switch.Please check below mentioned access port config.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12 - port on which we will connect netgear router.

switchport access vlan 132

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 134

spanning-tree portfast

need help to configure switch end.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card