cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Network Setup

andrewkendall10
Level 1
Level 1

I have two modems that are connected to a gigabit switch in the basement with  cat 5e hardwired connections going to 15 rooms in a house. I have a wrvs4400n that I would like to connect to one of these hardwired connections. Is this possible? I think the modems also act as routers.

3 Replies 3

Hardi Ahmed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

if the momdems is acting as a ethernet switch, you will have no issue in this implemantaion.

only you have to focus on the wireless touter configuration.

BTW, what kind of modems is that?

regards,

Hi Andrew,

If your modem also acting as NAT device its good practice to not to double NAT with another NAT device or router cause it make problems and inconsistencey between two NAT tables. configure wireless router to be used as access point.

Shahzad

The modem was also acting as an NAT device. It is issued by Time Warner Cable and I called them and had them turn the modem into bridge mode so that it no longer had wireless enabled. I am trying to configure a Cisco WRVS4400n to be the router and run access points off of it but the download speeds attained when connecting through wireless are disappointing. I am currently paying for 50mbps of internet and only receiving download speeds of around 10mbps and I am wirelessly testing right next to the router. Do you have any advice on where to go next?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card