Views
Helpful
Replies

wism management interface cannot reach

susim
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all 

I am trying to understand how wism  management interface works  ( untagged ). 

There are interfaces which are connected to wism controller and i cannot see any vlan membership assigned to this port even default vlan .

And in the wism controller , management interface is untagged (vlan 0, ip is 10.0.18.10 ) . 

when i run show mac address table from  the switch  , i can see vlan ( 13)  assigned to this interface 

*   13  001a.6c22.8080   dynamic  Yes          0   Po580.

If i want to access the management  interface ( 10.0.18.10) , i cant access untill i create an interface of the same vlan from where i am accessing the management 

interface . Why is that 

Thanks 

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1- Vlan 0 for wism maangement interface basically means its untagged. so management on vlan 0 means the interface is untagged.
2- All traffic from switch to wism flows thro an internal port-channel( This port-channel would be created automatically on the switch when wism module gets plugged into it.) which you can check using "sh etherchannel summary" . 
3-    But if management has an IP from say vlan 13, then that is the vlan to which your wism belongs . If in case that you dont hav the layer 3 interface with that vlan then you wont be able to access the interface.

Same been recorded on the config guide:
Management Interface

The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers. It is also used for communications between the controller and access points. The management interface has the only consistently “pingable” in-band interface IP address on the controller. You can access the controller’s GUI by entering the controller’s management interface IP address in Internet Explorer’s or Mozilla Firefox’s address field.

For CAPWAP, the controller requires one management interface to control all inter-controller communications and one AP-manager interface to control all controller-to-access point communications, regardless of the number of ports.

Ref:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1/cg_ports_interfaces.html#pgfId-1117168

HTH

Regards

Inayath

**********Please dont forget to rate if this info is helpfull************

Hi 

Thanks for your reply 

yes  i have  a layer 3 interface on my switch . 

say i have vlan 13 with layer 3 interface  on the switch  for  wism management .

Switch1

vlan 13 

ip address 10.0.18.2 255.255.255.0 

and vlan 12 

ip address 10.0.15.2 255.255.255.0 

there is intervlan routing between vlan 12 and vlan 13

wism controller  interface  

management interface is untagged (vlan 0, ip is 10.0.18.10 ) . 

PC 

IP Address  : 10 .0.15.10 /24 

i am trying to ping 10.0.18.10 ( wism management interface ) , but the destination unreachable .

Why i cant access  10.0.18.10 

Thanks again 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card