cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC managment vlan

hehexd
Level 1
Level 1

I got a question for you guys if someone can help me. Can i use the managment interface vlan lets say its vlan 100 for my access points also? Or do i have to create another vlan on another subnet? Like, can i have my Wlan ssid (internal) to be assigned to managment interface which is vlan 100 or do i have to assign the wlan to another interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears that you need a separate vlan/subnet for the management.

The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers. It is also used for communications between the controller and access points, for all CAPWAP or intercontroller mobility messaging and tunneling traffic. You can access the GUI of the controller by entering the management interface IP address of the controller in the address field of your browser. The AP management is enabled by default on the management interface.

For CAPWAP, the controller requires one management interface to control all inter-controller communications and one AP-manager interface to control all controller-to-access point communications, regardless of the number of ports.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_010011011.html

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears that you need a separate vlan/subnet for the management.

The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers. It is also used for communications between the controller and access points, for all CAPWAP or intercontroller mobility messaging and tunneling traffic. You can access the GUI of the controller by entering the management interface IP address of the controller in the address field of your browser. The AP management is enabled by default on the management interface.

For CAPWAP, the controller requires one management interface to control all inter-controller communications and one AP-manager interface to control all controller-to-access point communications, regardless of the number of ports.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_010011011.html

HTH

Okay so i have another question. I have everything on vlan 100 (the managment and the aps). I have a mikrotik router which is giving out dhcp ips to the network. The controller can ping and gets ips from the router and also the aps are getting ip addressed from the router. When i create a Wlan in the controller and i connect to it, it doesnt give me ip and internet access? Why is this so

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: