cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

WS-2950G-48-EI Upgrade

Good afternoon,  I work for a company and we have a few Cisco WS-2950G-48-EI switches integrated into our network.  They are mainly used for monitoring servers/equipment/etc and also run a few things on our internal office network.  I am trying to find an equivalent replacement with the following specs.  48 10/100/1000 G ports, at least 2 GBIC ports.  The biggest issue I am having is finding anything with GBICs.  Everything I come across now is SFP.  I was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction.  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
VIP Mentor

Re: WS-2950G-48-EI Upgrade

Hello,

I think everything with GBICs has been end of life/end of sale for quite a few years now. Which means you are probably looking at second hand equipment for which you cannot even get a support contract. Why do you need the GBIC support ?

Beginner

Currently I have the Cisco WS-2950G-48-EI going back to a Catalyst 3550
switch which uses the same GBIC module. I was just hoping to upgrade my
switch and not have to replace my fiber jumpers as they go from one room to
another at the office. Plus I was concerned about compatibility. Right
now my Catalyst 3550 2950 are using SC/APC connections on each end plugged
into GBIC modules.

Upgrading the 2950 would keep the SC/APC on the 3550 end and a LC/APC on the
new switch with a SFP Module(I believe). I was just unsure if there would
be any compatibility issues with the 2 different types of connections.

Thank you for your help.
Beginner

I was looking at the SG350X-48 switch as a replacement to the 2950. What
are your thoughts on that.

Thank you,
Hall of Fame Community Legend

1.  If you want to replace the 2950 then go with Catalyst 1000.  (Note:  Don't be tempted to go LAN Lite.)  This model should be a lot cheaper than the Catalyst 9K. 

2.  In regards to GBIC, there are a lot of places where one can buy cheap/used Cisco-branded GLC-SX-MMD.  

3.  In regards to the SC patch cables, just replace them with LC-terminated fibre optic cables.  Make sure to check what is the density of the current fibre optic run:  OM1, OM2, OM3 or OM4.  

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards