cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-3560-24TS-E

attar0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,recently I bought 4 ws-c3560-24ts-e reforbished from eBay and It has ip base IOS installation. The only reason that I got this It's because this model should support Ip service IOS.My questions is could i install IPS ios on this without any payment for upgrade?

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Attar,

software license is required only for upgrading to a different feature set, such as upgrading from the IP Base to the IP Services feature set.

All you need is

L-C3750X-24-S-E=

C3750X-24 IP Base to IP Services E-License

Once you pay for the license, they will send you a very small file.  You can then uploaded it to your switch and install it.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate the post if helpful**

I couldn't get my answer ,in my undrestanding from cisco documentation  "WS-C3560-24TS-E" the "E" part of the model mean it should be perminant IP servise ios  and if i install c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin on switch ,is it change to perminant license Ip service ?,if I,m wrong please explain it more

you need to pay for advanced services on your devices such as pbr,bgp etc , when you activate the license after you install your ipservcies IOS you can use those features

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-series-switches/prod_qas09186a00801f3d71.html

You need and advanced ip license for thisQ. What software images does the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series support?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license.

Switch#show inventory
NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-C3560-24TS"
PID: WS-C3560-24TS-E, VID: V02, SN: CAT0944R0PH

I install c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin on the switch and I have all the feature like BGP,ipv6,ipv6 routing, private VLAN, OSPF, BGP.How could I sure this license valid permanently and not evaluation?.By the way, command like "show license" doesn't work on switch

I attach output file of command "Switch#show tech-support"

Then you don't need a license, they were only introduced few years back, not all older platforms require them , if you have applied the image and you have BGP you don't need a license , you can fully confirm with trying to configure the routing process conf t router bgp 65000 if its taking commands like that then your good no license required.Newer 3650s and 3750 do require licenses for certain features

You can upgrade the ios to ipservices without any issue but for services to run which is provided by ip services you need valid license for the same.

Hope this answer the query. Please feel free to revert back for any clarification.

Regards

inayath

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My understanding, original 3560/3750 licensing, was, as you note, the -E suffix should have licensed the device for IP Services.  Way back, there was also an Advanced IP Services IOS, needing another license, but Cisco later lumped the two Services versions together under one license and just one IOS image.

If you have maintenance on the device, you're entitled to any subsequent versions with the same licensed feature sets.  However, the original 3560 series is well past EoL, so maintenance isn't available for it, I believe.  So, that's one wrinkle.  Another, I recall the original 3560/3750 series also originally had a lifetime software version upgrade license.  (This, I think, was to compete in the SMB market, where such was common for other vendors.)  I.e. as long as you owned the device, you could upgrade the IOS, of course, again keeping to the same feature set.  I further recall, though, Cisco may have revoked that.  I.e. later you needed an active service contract for any IOS version upgrades (much as typically done for all their other Enterprise devices).

The last wrinkle, I think all IOS licensing only applies to the original buyer.  I.e. from Cisco's perspective, unless you purchased authorized refurbished units, you don't have a legal IOS to run on them.  Personally, as long as units were legally acquired, you can probably "safely" use them with whatever IOS was installed on them, at time of purchase, assuming the installed IOS was legally installed before you purchased it.

That said, Cisco could, and probably would, say as a 2nd hand buyer, your cannot obtain any IOS upgrade.  Legally, I think they are within their rights to do that.

To recap, as worst case, you've purchased devices you're not licensed to run any Cisco IOS on, unless you get their approval.  Best case, if you contact Cisco, you can work out an agreement to upgrade the IOS versions.  Probable case, you're likely (legally) "stuck" with only running the IOS that was already installed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card