Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-4506-E and Sup8 compatibility

kzstan.wq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could someone help with WS-4506-E chassis compatible Sup8 Engine part number? 

WS-X45-SUP8-E V06 we have has connector block on the right side and 4506-E chassis 

does not have corresponding right hand socket (please see attached photos).

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not all chassis can support Sup8. If the chassis first came out with the Sup7E, I can guarantee it won't support Sup8 (command is "sh idprom chassis" and look for Hardware Revision). Early chassis, aka Hardware Version 1.1, came out the for the Sup7. Hardware Version 2.0 can support Sup8.
Sup9 was developed to help the early adopters upgrade from Sup7 to Sup9.

Identifying Hardware Revisions on the Switch Chassis

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

according to table-1 in this link, it should work in slot 1 except for the 4507R-E, which requires hardware revision 2 or higher, but then again documentation could be completely wrong if the chassis does not have the right connectors.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_29676.html

HTH

kzstan.wq
Level 1
Level 1

Previously I was able to upgrade supervisor on different model chassis (WS-C4506-E Hardware Revision = 1.2 Mfg date 2014) from Sup7 to Sup8. This chassis is a newer model (Mfg date 2018) and here is the nearly the same chassis (800-36421-02 D0+ vs 800-36421-02 E0+) with Sup8L-E installed. Could it be that right hand socket is optional as I could not find any Sup8 or Sup9 image without right connectors block?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card