cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ws-c2960g-48tc-l 3rd party SFP support

JakeMIGSMN
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to purchase a ws-c2960g-48tc-l and I want to use 3rd party SFP's since I can get them much cheaper. I understand the risks/negatives of using 3rd party versus Cisco branded SFP modules. I know there is a hidden command "service unsupported-transceiver" that will allow you to use 3rd party IOS's but I need to know what IOS version or later I need that actually has this command. Does anyone know where I could find this information? I cannot seem to find this information anywhere. I could find this out on a 3750 but not a 2960G. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are going to be using a 3rd party  SFP, use Transition Networks SFPs.  You do not need any command at all.

It works just fine.

HTH

Reza

The ones that I have ordered already I have been told will need this command to be issued for them to work. That is why I am wondering what IOS my switch will need to be at for these to work/this command to be available to me.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacob,

Use 12.2(50)SE3 or later. They support this command.

Sweta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card