cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960S-24TS-L/WS-C2960G-24TC-L Compatiblity

hhumble01
Level 1
Level 1

Can you configure the models WS-C2960S-24TS-L & WS-C2960G-24TC-L with the exact same configuration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, as long as the higher ports are carefully (un)used (the C2960S has 24 x RJ-45 + 4 x SFP, while the C2960G has 20 x RJ-45 + 4 x combo / dual-purpose), I can't spot any reason why they couldn't be configured identically (except maybe for the maximum MTU sizes, but I don't think those are part of the running-config anyway):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Of course, if the C2960S is part of a FlexStack, there's no point in thinking about this :)...

[later_edit] Now that I mentioned stacking, I don't think an identical configuration is possible - the 2960-S has, for example, interface gigabitethernet1/0/12, while the 2960G has gigabitethernet0/12, so you'd still have to do some tweaking before applying one's config to the other.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes as long as the management IP addresses are not the same.

@Leo Laohoo, when I was asking if you could use the same configuration, I should have been more specific to my question. Can you swap one for the other using the same configuration, simply as a spare? Because it is being used as a spare, it would have to have the same management IP address.

Yes, it can be done but the interface labels would be different.  Otherwise, no problem at all.

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

I can't find any WS-C2960S-24TC-L here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-s-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-726680.html

@lulian Vaideanu, You are certainly correct, I have corrected the model numbers in the question and title. Thank you.

There is no WS-C2960G-24TS-L either :)...

@lulian Vaideanu, Thank you for your help and patience. Hopefully third time is a charm.

Well, as long as the higher ports are carefully (un)used (the C2960S has 24 x RJ-45 + 4 x SFP, while the C2960G has 20 x RJ-45 + 4 x combo / dual-purpose), I can't spot any reason why they couldn't be configured identically (except maybe for the maximum MTU sizes, but I don't think those are part of the running-config anyway):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Of course, if the C2960S is part of a FlexStack, there's no point in thinking about this :)...

[later_edit] Now that I mentioned stacking, I don't think an identical configuration is possible - the 2960-S has, for example, interface gigabitethernet1/0/12, while the 2960G has gigabitethernet0/12, so you'd still have to do some tweaking before applying one's config to the other.

Thank you very much for your help.

Please be sure to check the edit to my last post, it kind of invalidates the "no reason" statement (sorry for not thinking about it earlier)...

@lulian Vaideanu, Thank you for your update

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card