Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960S and Inter VLAN Routing

garry cordess
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a reasonable switch but it has do do inter-VLAN Routing. I know I could go with a 3560/3750 with IP Services but I am also thinking the 2960S with IP Base IOS might do?

I have looked up the IP Base IOS and it does list IP Routing but it would be nice to hear if anyone has actually configure inter-VLAN Routing on a 2960S with IP Base?

Many thanks,

Garry.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Garry,

The 2960s series switches are mainly layer-2 switches with support for SVI and up to 16 static routes.  If you are planning to run any routing protocols, you may want to look at the 3560X or 3750X series switches with IP Base or IP Services license.

From the config guide:

The  switch supports 16 static routes (including user-configured routes and  the default route) and any directly connected routes and default routes  for the management interface. The switch can have an IP address assigned  to each SVI. Before enabling routing, enter the sdm prefer lanbase-routing global configuration command and reload the switch.

More info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

Ok thanks for the reply.

There wont be any routing protocols just inter VLAN routing. It does seem that the 3560/3750X look good for this so I think I will go with a 3560X (no stacking required).

Regards,

Garry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card