Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960X with SFP+ uplinks

janvandek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can I use SFP (1G) modules in the SFP+ uplink slots of the switch.  The idea is to use today 1G uplinks but keep it future proofed for 10G migration later on.

Jan              

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From 2960X Q&A:

Q. Does the 10 Gigabit uplink upgrade require a separate module?

A. No. The SFP+ and SFP slots are built in.

Q. Can the 10 Gigabit SFP+ slots on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X model support 1 Gigabit SFP modules?

A. Yes. The Cisco Catalyst 2960-S models that support 10 Gigabit SFP+  modules can also support SFP modules that operates at 1 Gigabit.

Note: I believe the last answer has a typo - i.e. was copied from the 2960-S Q&A which says slot supports both.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't believe the uplink for the 2960X series switches are modular.  So, if your switch support SFP+ than you can only insert SFP+ and not both.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12995/data_sheet_c78-728232.html

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From 2960X Q&A:

Q. Does the 10 Gigabit uplink upgrade require a separate module?

A. No. The SFP+ and SFP slots are built in.

Q. Can the 10 Gigabit SFP+ slots on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X model support 1 Gigabit SFP modules?

A. Yes. The Cisco Catalyst 2960-S models that support 10 Gigabit SFP+  modules can also support SFP modules that operates at 1 Gigabit.

Note: I believe the last answer has a typo - i.e. was copied from the 2960-S Q&A which says slot supports both.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card