cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3560X-24P-S not booting, no lights except on PS module

Sherwin Clarke
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new 3650x switch that I was configuring via console and left it on overnight; this was friday night  ( I forgot to keep the air conditioner on).  When I returned Sunday afternoon and checked the switch I realized that the SYS and STAT lights on the front were not on, however the Leds on the PS module were still on.  I powered it down and turn it on again but still there are no lights on the front. 

The PS OK and AC OK leds on the PS module are on but I noticed the leds on the two fan modules are not green or even amber; they are off.

When I first turned on the switch I remembered distinctly that there were loud noice and if all fans were in overdrive mode for a few seconds then the went  to normal.  I'm not gettgin this loud noise phenomenom. 

Do you think the switch is basically dead?

If its a fan failure then shouldn't the amber lights on?

Shouldn't some of hte lights on the front panel at least light up even for a few seconds?

The switch is not even getting to start a POST test, it's as if power is only getting to the PS module and that's it

The system is under warranty and I am in South America.  Any suggestions would be grateful.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sherwin,

What are you using to Console into the switch?  A USB-to-Serial or are you using the USB console cable?

I am using a regular console cable, not a USB to Serial or the USB type

RMA the switch.

Hello Sherwin.

Can you try the following:

1. Connect the console cable. (Make sure the console cable is fine)
  2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Press and hold the mode bottom. (you should see all leds light up and steady for couple of seconds and then start blinking)
  4. Plug the power cord back into the switch.
  5. Check if you get something in the console?
  6. If nothing, your switch is dead.

Regards.

Wilson B.

I executed the steps you said but still no luck.  Absolutely no other lights are coming on on the switch except the 2 on the PS module.

Sherwin.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I remembered distinctly that there were loud noice and if all fans were  in overdrive mode for a few seconds then the went  to normal.  I'm not  gettgin this loud noise phenomenom.

You remember correctly.  Every time you turn on a 3560X or 3750X, you are supposed to hear that loud noise and then after about 3 or 4 seconds it goes away and the switch normalizes.

I would say, the switch is dead and since it is new and you have warranty on it, open a ticket with TAC and RMA it.

HTH

Could be a few things really but most likely the CPU's RAM has failed and bricked the switch.

Hi,

This is clearly hardware fault. AS suggested by other experts I will go with them.

Please raise the TAC and we will send the new switch to you.

Regards

Inayath

The switch was bought from a company in the US but was eventually shipped outside the USA.  Is there anything I could do?

confreg01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gurus,

• So what is the cause of the WS-C3750X-24P-S failing so abruptly?
  • Is this a known Cisco Fault and is there a serial database to check for affected serials?
  • Is it a power surge issue?
  • Is it a 'poor' part issue on the manufacturing side?

I think we can quickly say, RMA but what is the root cause of this. If there are so many requests for info then we should surely have a reason for this issue and a solution other than RMA RMA!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card