Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3650-48TD-S, ports G3/TE3 and G4/TE4

andrew.webster
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have a new WS-C3650-48TD-S. Is an SFP-GE-S supported on the last 2 ports labeled G3[]TE3 and G4[]TE4? I put in an SFP-GE-S in G4[]TE4 and it works fine. My question is about support. Since it is labeled G4[]TE4 will the SFP-GE-S be supported by Cisco if I run into trouble later on?

thanks,

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

if the SFP-GE-S is a Cisco product, it will be supported. If it is a third party SFP: Cisco has a very strict policy regarding third party products (see the link below). Here is an excerpt:

• When a customer reports a product fault or defect and Cisco believes the fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party memory products, cables, GBIC's, filters, or other non-Cisco components by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program such as SMART Net Total care™ service.
  • When a product fault or defect occurs in the network, and Cisco concludes that the fault or defect is not attributable to the use of third-party memory, cables, GBICs, filters, or other non-Cisco components installed by a customer or reseller, Cisco will continue to provide support for the affected product under warranty or covered by a Cisco support program.
  • The nature of the defect or error is the key to determining Cisco support obligations.
  • Cisco also reserves the right to charge the customer per then current time and material rates for services provided to the customer when Cisco determines, after having provided such services, that the root cause of the defective product was caused by a third-party vendor supplied product.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740959.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

if the SFP-GE-S is a Cisco product, it will be supported. If it is a third party SFP: Cisco has a very strict policy regarding third party products (see the link below). Here is an excerpt:

• When a customer reports a product fault or defect and Cisco believes the fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party memory products, cables, GBIC's, filters, or other non-Cisco components by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program such as SMART Net Total care™ service.
  • When a product fault or defect occurs in the network, and Cisco concludes that the fault or defect is not attributable to the use of third-party memory, cables, GBICs, filters, or other non-Cisco components installed by a customer or reseller, Cisco will continue to provide support for the affected product under warranty or covered by a Cisco support program.
  • The nature of the defect or error is the key to determining Cisco support obligations.
  • Cisco also reserves the right to charge the customer per then current time and material rates for services provided to the customer when Cisco determines, after having provided such services, that the root cause of the defective product was caused by a third-party vendor supplied product.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740959.html

Georg,

thank you for the feedback. Yes, the SFP-GE-S is a Cisco product.  I have Cisco GLC-SX-MMD that I may use as well. My WS-C3650-48TD-S has two ports labeled G3[]TE3 and G4[]TE4. I want to know if the use of those 1G SFP modules in those ports is supported by Cisco.

It is the first time I have seen a switch with the G# and TE# label for the same port.

thanks,

Andy

Found it in the documentation:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/hardware/quick/guide/cat3650_gsg.html#wp79867

SFP and SFP+ Transceiver Module Ports:
Depending on the model of the switch you are working with, the four SFP module slots can be all 1-Gigabit SFP module slots or all 10-Gigabit SFP+ module slots. They can also be a combination of a pair of SFP modules slots on the left and a pair of SFP+ module slots on the right. SFP+ module slots support both SFP and SFP+ modules.

thanks

Hello,

indeed,TE is short for TenGigabitEthernet, which is supported by SFP+.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card