cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C4507R switch power supply removal and installation?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i have a WS-C4507R switch that have one of its power supply fail with no leds lighting up , im expecting a replacement "PWR-C45-2800AC " but im wondering about the replacement procedure , can i remove the defected power supply and install the new one while the switch is on? or should i turn it off first?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The power supply can be removed while the chassis is powered.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The power supply can be removed while the chassis is powered.

can i get a second opinion as this matter is very critical?

Go HERE and it is clearly stated that 

The power supplies are hot-swappable, so in redundant mode, you will not need to power down the switch to replace or upgrade most power supplies. With dual power supplies running in combined mode, some chassis slots may lose power during an upgrade or power supply replacement.

If the power supply is faulty (and not working) then it is fine to remove the faulty unit and swap it out.  Technically, it will not cause an outage, however, it is best to cover one's a$$ by raising a Change Request.

These are DESIGNED to be hot-swappable; and in about 20 power supply replacements over the past 5 years, have never had an issue with hot-swap in a 4500- or 6500 series switch.

However, as Leo mentionned, you might want to go through change control if you have it; and don't do it at 9:00 in the morning...  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: