cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C6509-E Interface Naming & SFP Module Model.

xZamalek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dears,

I am in a situation now that 2 C6509 switches are connected via VSS , the SFP module of one of the core ports needs to be replaced , how can i verify the SFP module model ? i could do this in the access switch by performing show inventory , however things are different on this switch , the Interface on the core like Gi2/2/11 what i understand from this is 2=Chassis number 2 , 2=Module 2 on the 2nd chassis , 11 is the port number , is that correct ? please advise how can i know the current SFP module model on this interface.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good question -

here is the example :

#show switch virtual  - give you some information, with that information take in to consider  to check where the active supervisor located as numbering will be.

fo that is the reason, Labeling the Switch is very good and important  here. ( Sw1 and Sw2) so switch 1 always start 1/x/1 switch 2 2/1/1

the Interface on the core like Gi2/2/11 what i understand from this is 2=Chassis number 2 , 2=Module 2 on the 2nd chassis , 11 is the port number ,  - YES this is correct

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello BB,

Thank you for your answer , i have an additional issue that from the 6500 side i can't determine the SFP module , while i could do this from the access switch side by performing the show inventery gigx/x/x , so i just assumed that they would be the same as this command doesn't show the exact model on the 6500 and i am working remotely so i can't check it physically.

Hi,

On the VSS, you can try "sh module all" to see all the modules in both chassis. If you just want to see the modules per chassis, you can try.

"sh module switch 1" or 2

HTH

on switch 1 or switch 2, the command is now show modules switch 1 or show modules switch 2.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card