cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X2931-XL Dual port config

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I'm trying to configure this very old switch for dual VLAN ports Data/Voice an here is my config:

no logging event link-status
 switchport access vlan 200
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport voice vlan 800
 spanning-tree portfast

With the above config phone works but if I connect a computer it doesn't.  if I take out the "encapsulation" command out and connect a computer to it then the computer works but phone doesn't.  So my question is these ports won't work like they do on a 2960 no matter what I connect it will work.  Instead if I want to attach a phone and/or computer to it I will need to connect the computer to the phone for it to be on VLAN 200 ?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since this is a Cisco switch, you should not need these 2 commands:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

HTH

It is an old Cisco switch so if I remember correctly they do require the trunking commands.  Also if I remove those two commands phone does not get an IP address.

Wow. That's old. What IOS version is the switch running on?
Have you tried enabling allowed VLANs? What kind of phone is it?

It is old lol, can't even find any documentation on Google for it any more.

System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC15.bin"

But looks like it doesn't work like the new switches.  You can configure it for the phone but then you have to connect the computer to that phone if you connect it to the port computer won't get an IP

Try finding the WC17 firmware.

I think I am going to try and get that switch replaced some how that one switch is the only one that got left there.  Time for it to retire.

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Because you have configured the port for trunking, the command switchport access vlan 200 is not active. If you want the computer to connect direct to the switch on vlan 200 you can try with "switchport trunk native vlan 200"

/Mikael

Yes I know that, that is what I am saying that this switch does not work like other switches so you can't configure it for dual VLAN's like the newer switches it seems like it.

if it is a Cisco phone, the port must NOT be configured as a trunk

if it is third party phone it may not be necesarily configured as a trunk.

the voice vlan command is intended for an ACCESS-port where the phone discovers the voice vlan using CDP or LLDP (which of course must be enabled)

When using "voice vlan" and CDP detects a cisco phone, the cisco switch accepts two vlans on an accessport

phones have an internal switch and send vlan-tagged packets to the switch using the voice vlan

the switch detects the cisco phone and accept  tagged packets for the voice vlan on an ACCESS port.

PCs use the access vlan if directly connected to the switch

PCs use the access vlan  when connected to the cisco phone (pass-thru the phone).

the switch accepts untagged packets for the access vlan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco