Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X4748-12X48U+E support VSS (VSL)?

marcio.tormente
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Folks!

Anyone knows if this module can be used to configure VSS (VSL over 10gb port) in the 4507 switches?

Regards

Marcio L. Tormente

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

should work fine.  I don't see any restriction regarding this module

VSL Hardware Requirements

The VSL EtherChannel supports both 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1- Gigabit Ethernet ports.

We recommend that you use at least two of the 10-Gigabit/1-Gigabit Ethernet ports to create the VSL between the two switches. You cannot combine 10-Gigabit and 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports in a VSL port-channel.

Be aware of the following:

• You can add additional physical links to the VSL EtherChannel with the 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports on any supported supervisor engine or linecard.
  • Oversubscribed linecard ports can be used for VSL but total bandwidth requirements of VSL or any traffic drop because of a certain hashing mechanism must be accounted for before using oversubscribed linecard ports for VSL.
  • VSL ports can have only 10 Gigabit Ethernet port mode on a WS-X4606-X2-E linecard; non-VSL ports can be configured as 10 or 1 Gigabit Ethernet port mode.
  • 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports on line card X4606-X2-E cannot be used as VSL links.
  • Link, see table 5-1
  • https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-8-0E/15-24E/configuration/guide/xe-380-configuration/vss.html
  • HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

should work fine.  I don't see any restriction regarding this module

VSL Hardware Requirements

The VSL EtherChannel supports both 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1- Gigabit Ethernet ports.

We recommend that you use at least two of the 10-Gigabit/1-Gigabit Ethernet ports to create the VSL between the two switches. You cannot combine 10-Gigabit and 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports in a VSL port-channel.

Be aware of the following:

• You can add additional physical links to the VSL EtherChannel with the 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports on any supported supervisor engine or linecard.
  • Oversubscribed linecard ports can be used for VSL but total bandwidth requirements of VSL or any traffic drop because of a certain hashing mechanism must be accounted for before using oversubscribed linecard ports for VSL.
  • VSL ports can have only 10 Gigabit Ethernet port mode on a WS-X4606-X2-E linecard; non-VSL ports can be configured as 10 or 1 Gigabit Ethernet port mode.
  • 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports on line card X4606-X2-E cannot be used as VSL links.
  • Link, see table 5-1
  • https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-8-0E/15-24E/configuration/guide/xe-380-configuration/vss.html
  • HTH

Hello Reza!

Thanks for your support.

I was taking a look in the data sheet and this link that you sent to me, the good thing is that, there is no restriction about using this module to VSS (VLS), but there is no approval that can be used as well.

Thanks

Hi,

As long as there is no restriction on the module, you should be fine.

The other option would be to use the Sup ports.

HTH

This is the problem, I want to use a RJ45 module because I don´t have SFP to use in the Sup-module.

as my module RJ45 have ports 10GB, I need to know if will work fine.

Thanks 

Yes, the copper will work.

HTH

Thank you very much Reza.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card