cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6148A-GE-45AF vs WS-X6148A-GE-TX w/ WS-F6K-48-AF

adouthit66
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a difference between a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF and a WS-X6148A-GE-TX with a WS-F6K-48-AF?

A few years ago I was told there isn't a difference and that both cards have the same functionality. Up until recently we would replace a WS-X6148A-GE-TX/WS-F6K-48-AF with a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF and everything would work find. Now when we do it the config for that slot/module is lost. I'm not sure what changed since we don't have admin rights to the switch (this is for a customer that we only provide maintenance services)

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adouthit66 wrote:

Is there a difference between a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF and a WS-X6148A-GE-TX with a WS-F6K-48-AF?

A few years ago I was told there isn't a difference and that both cards have the same functionality. Up until recently we would replace a WS-X6148A-GE-TX/WS-F6K-48-AF with a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF and everything would work find. Now when we do it the config for that slot/module is lost. I'm not sure what changed since we don't have admin rights to the switch (this is for a customer that we only provide maintenance services)

They don't have exactly the same functionality ie.

WS-6148A-GE-TX  is a classic line card  48port 10/100/1000Mbps 

WS-6148A-GE-45AF is a classic line card 48 port 10/100/1000Mbps that support PoE (Power over Ethernet)

What IOS version are you running on your 6500 ?

Jon

The WS-X6148A-GE-TX has a daughter card (WS-F6K-48AF) that provides POE. So essentially its the same as a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF, right?

The 6500 has a Sup32 that runs 12.2(18)SXF14

My apologies, i missed the PoE daughter card bit.

When you say the config goes missing are you simply talking about the config itself ie. can the switch still see the module ?

Jon

The switch can see the module but the the config for that

module/slot dissappears.

adouthit66 wrote:

The switch can see the module but the the config for that

module/slot dissappears.

Not sure then. I have checked the release notes and they all require 12.2SXF so you are okay there. Unless there is something in the config the new module doesn't like but again it looks like they are the same internal architecture ie. same port buffer size, same QOS queueing setup so it should transfer fine i would have thought.

Can you check whether they have this in the running-config of the switch -

module clear-config

If they do then you need to remove this command or else it automatically deletes the config for the module when it is removed.

Jon

We just bought a 48 port POE module for the C6500 and Cisco shipped us WS-F6K-48-AF daughter card separately.

Looking online it seems to be providing the POE functionalities, but we have POE phones running and they are coming up...do we even need this module?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card