cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6748-GE-TX and SUP-2T Compatibility

hashknife
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-X6748-GE-TX with the WS-F6700-CFC daughter card. Is it possible to replace the WS-F6700-CFC daughter card with a WS-F6K-DFC4-AXL to make this compatible with the SUP-2T? Or, are there differences between the CFC and DFC base modules?

Thanks for your time.

Bryant C Mothershed

(An old cowboy that somehow wound up in IT)

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this link:

It is supported, but it requires

CFC or DFC4A(XL)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_models_comparison.html#~tab-e,

HTH

Reza,

Thank you for the quick reply.

So, to reitterate for my own clarification, the X6700-GE-TX with CFC is 100% compatible with the SUP-2T running

15.0(1)SY3 IOS, correct? I know the CFC module only has 256MB of memory, will that cause any problems in the 6509-E and SUP-2T?

I'll have 25 to 30 ports connecting to servers at 1Gbps.

Thanks again, Reza.

Your advice is truly appreciated.

Bryant C Mothershed

Hmmm.

Just found this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/0adtrcrd.html

It states the following:

WS-F6700-CFC, Centralized Forwarding Card (CFC) for use on WS-X67xx Ethernet modules. This daughter card is supported only by the Supervisor Engine 720. There are no memory options for this daughter card, WS-X6748-GE-TX

This was revised August-2012.

Now I'm really confused.

Sorry to be pain in the neck...

Bryant C Mothershed

So, to reitterate for my own clarification, the X6700-GE-TX with CFC is 100% compatible with the SUP-2T running

Yes and no.  Except for the 6708-10GE, all 6XNN line cards must have their CFC/DFC upgrade to CFC/DFC4 in order for them to get supported by the Sup2T.

I reckon this hooks back to the original question: can I replace the current CFC daughter card with a DFC4 daughter card, is there now a CFC upgrade, or should I look to buy a 6848-GE-TX?

I'm trying to plan next years upgrade and am trying to save a few dollars here 'n there. if I can.

Thanks for the reply and your patience.

Bryant C Mothershed

I reckon this hooks back to the original question: can I replace the current CFC daughter card with a DFC4 daughter card

Mea culpa.  I didn't see this very relevant question.

Answer:  As long as we are NOT talking about the X6708-10GE, the answer is a resounding YES.  You can purchase the CFC4/DFC4.  Please make sure you properly ground yourself prior to the "surgery".

...est non problema...

My line card is a WS-X6748-GE-TX with WS-F6700-CFC.

I'm gonna assume that the DFC4AXL is the daughter card I would need to order; is this correct?

I have some good 3M static mats from my DEC and Tandem days for the "surgery"..

Once again, thanks for the reply. I truly appreciate the help.

Bryant C Mothershed

Update...

Just found this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-676346.html

The Supervisor 2T provides backward compatibility with the existing WS-X6700 Series Linecards (with the exception of the WS-X6708-10G, which will be replaced by the new WS-X6908-10G, discussed later), as well as select WS-X6100 Series Linecards only. There is no support for the WS-X62xx, WS-X63xx, WS-X64xx, or WS-X65xx Linecards.

Note: eAll WS-X67xx Linecards equipped with the Central Forwarding Card (CFC) are supported in a Supervisor 2T system, and will function in centralized CEF720 mode.

There is no compatibility between the Supervisor 2T and earlier generations of Distributed Forwarding Cards (DFCs), such as DFC, DFC2, or DFC3x. The DFC is used to accelerate forwarding performance for the system as a whole, and uses the same forwarding architecture that is found on the PFC. The PFC4 architecture introduces a number of changes that differentiate it significantly in operation from earlier PFC/DFC models.

These changes require that only the DFC4 can interoperate with the PFC4. Any existing WS-X67xx Linecards that have a DFC3x will have to be upgraded with the new DFC4. WS-X67xx Linecards with a DFC4 installed will function in distributed dCEF720 mode.

I'm gonna assume that the DFC4AXL is the daughter card I would need to order; is this correct?

I believe this is correct.

Reza, you have any comments?

These changes require that only the DFC4 can interoperate with the PFC4. Any existing WS-X67xx Linecards that have a DFC3x will have to be upgraded with the new DFC4. WS-X67xx Linecards with a DFC4 installed will function in distributed dCEF720 mode.

This is partially correct.  As far as I'm aware, WS-X6708-10GE line card's DFC3 is soldered into the mother board, hence, you cannot upgrade the DFC3 without buying a new line card. 

Guys,

This is extremely confusing with poor documentation.

Bryant,

I agree with Leo.  To get a some what accurate answer on this, I would consult the SE and the AM for your account.

You don't want to buy any of these until you are sure it will do what you need them to do. This is one of those things unless you actually have done it, you don't know if it is going to work or not.  If you are planning on replacing a significant amount of these cards, I would ask Cisco to send you CFC, DFC, etc... you need from demo depot and test them with your cards before purchasing. I have Sup 2Ts, but never had to used 67xx series cards with them.

Q. I have Cisco 6700 Series line cards today with Centralized Forwarding  Cards (CFCs). Are these line cards supported in a Cisco Supervisor  Engine 2T system?

A. A Cisco Supervisor Engine 2T system will support all Cisco 6700 Series line cards with CFCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps11878/qa_c67-648478.html

Reza

Gents,

I truly appreciate your time. You've both dealt square with me and I can't ask for more than that.

You've both given me good information and I'll use it to to talk to the SE and AM. They're both local here in Arizona.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Bryant C Mothershed

You've both given me good information and I'll use it to to talk to the SE and AM. They're both local here in Arizona.

Whatever decision the SE/AM have, make sure it's down in writing. 

Bryant,

Sorry, we couldn't provide you better answers to your questions.

BTW, I agree with Leo.  Make sure you get it in writing, ask all the questions you need and you are satisfy with the answers you get.

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card