cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XModem / IOS issues

GeckoPunk
Level 1
Level 1

I've been studying for the CCNA for about 3 months now, on and off. I was provided a Cisco 3600 Series Multiplatform router from my manager so I could get some hands-on experience.

I thought I'd upgrade the 11.1 IOS and didn't think twice about backing up the existing IOS on a TFTP server, or any other location for that matter.

So I erased the flash and am currently stuck in rommon>.

I got an "updaded" c3660-is-mz.122-46a.bin IOS from my manager, but am having difficulties transferring it to the router. The IOS is located on my C:\.

Please note that this router does not permit copy tftp flash... According to Cisco's documentation only XMODEM will work on the system.

Here's the main issue:

rommon 1 > xmodem -c c3660-is-mz.122-46a.bin
Do not start the sending program yet...
device does not contain a valid magic number
dir: cannot open device "flash:"

WARNING: All existing data in flash will be lost!
Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.
Do you wish to continue? y/n  [n]:  y
Ready to receive file c3660-is-mz.122-46a.bin ...
CCCCCCCCCC
Timeout waiting for data - aborting download...

I am using Tera Term as a terminal emulator. After it says "Ready to receive..." I send the file and it looks like it completes the process. However, after the file is completely sent, about 1 minute afterwards a few CCCC's later, you can see the error "Timeout waiting for data - aborting download".

I have the router and Tera Term both set up with the following:

Port: Com 4

Baud Rate: 115200 (9600 would take too long)

Data: 8-bit

Parity: None

Stop: 1 bit

Flow Control: Hardware

When I run meminfo in rommon> the router shows that there is 32MB Flash and 32MB DRAM

The new IOS I'm trying to install is 11.6 MB (12,243,744 bytes)

Can someone please tell me why I can't upload this IOS on the router?

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
device does not contain a valid magic number

Either the IOS file that you have is either corrupt or it's not the correct filesize.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card