cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XP preventing TFTP transfers?

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

I'm trying to move some Cisco IOS images around my lab routers, using my ThinkPad R50 as the tftp server, and am getting a lot of "Permission denied" messages.

I had tremendous success copying FROM the routers' Flash into the R50; using XP's built-in tftp service. But trying to move images FROM the R50 TO the routers is so far not on.

I'm doing copy tftp flash from the IOS command line (which means I want to copy FROM a tftp server INTO the local router's Flash memory); and at first I got plain ol' timeouts. I tried it with the XP service first; turned off all firewalls (it's a lab network with no Internet) and had no luck. Then I installed 3Com's 3CDaemon TFTP server and made sure the appropriate directories were configured. Now I keep getting Permission denied error messages on the routers.

I don't know much about XP. Is this a file permission issue? Does my whole system forbid TFTP gets? Something else I need to check/configure?

Thanks.

It's XP Version 2002 SP 3 v.5755

5 Replies 5

greg.washburn
Level 1
Level 1

3CDaemon does not seem to have any permission problems and you probably will not see any from the XP side.

To test this I took all but read rights from from all users/groups on the tftp folder and still successfully copied files fine.

Just to verify - Are you a priv 15 user on the router (router> vs router# type thing)?

In other words is the permission trouble on the router rather than the XP device?

Yes I have privileged router access. As I said, the router is attempting the TFTP transfer (the copy tftp flash command isn't even available in user mode) and gets a "permission denied" message; as opposed to a "can't open file" message.

Ok. On the XP machine ensure that you have a group called "Users (pcname\Users)" group with at least read access on the folder you set up for tftp access in the 3CDaemon configure tftp server settings.

And most importantly look at the logs on the 3CDaemon tftp server.

If there is a permission problem it is very likely you will see a "could not open requested file for reading" error in the log.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try TFTP32 as another alternative. No need to install just click to run the application.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card