Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call rate/bandwidth only connecting at 768kbps

Not applicable

I have a Tandberg Edge95 (F9.3.1) initiating a call to a Cisco SX20 (TC7.3.2) with VCS Control (X7.2) handling call setup. The bandwidth/call rate of the video call only connects at 768kbps. Here is what I've done and checked:

VCS default call bandwidth is set to 1920 and the call details on the VCS shows 1920 requested and allocated

SX20 default call rate is set to 1920 and the call details on the SX20 shows 1920 for transmit and receive call rate but the channel rate for transmit and receive is only 768

Edge 95 DefaultCall Call is set to 1920kbps but the call details show the call connected at only 768

TMS (13.2.1) phone book is set to auto bandwidth

Looking for suggestions on settings or configuration I may have missed. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

You may have bandwidth restrictions set on the VCS. Check on the configurations of the Default Subzones (as well as any other subzones), and the Bandwidth Configuration, and any Links or Pipes that might exist.  You probably have something there that is restricting the call bandwidth.

Thanks for the quick reply.   I verified the following on the VCS as per your suggestion:

Default Subzone and Traversal Subzone total bandwidth and per call bandwidth are all set to Unlimited.  There aren't any other subzones.

Default call bandwidth is set to 1920

I don't see any bandwidth settings in the Links section and there are no pipes configured.  

The only other thing that is coming to mind is, have you checked on the Edge 95, your Max Upstream Rate (under the Call quality menu).  Given that you already looked at your Default Call Settings, which is a menu underneath this, it seems likely.

Barring that, for troubleshooting purposes, I would remove both of them from VCS registration, then make direct IP calls and see if it makes a difference.  If it does not, reset one of them to factory defaults (keep in mind the Edge 95 will lose it's option keys if you do this; record them ahead of time), then try again.  Still a problem, reset the other one.  Still a problem, upgrade the code on both of them.

After that....no idea.  I can make a call between a 1700MXP and an EX90 (TC 7.3.9 code) without this issue.

Keep in mind that the channel rate displayed under Call Status is dynamic and reflects current usage.  It often is lower than the Call Rate.  I'm not sure that an MXP is actually capable of sufficient frame rates at 720p to generate 1920kbps of traffic.  The DSP's in there are pretty old. And, I think you'll have better luck if you change the Video Quality to Sharpness rather than Motion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: