cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco TTC8-02 work standalone (Without Codec)

JacobDean18605
Level 1
Level 1

I've spent half today searching for info on this, but I'm unable to confirm my assumption. I am looking at the TTC8-02 as a cheap addition to a 2 camera PTZ setup.

I assume that the video outputs (HDMI and HD-SDI) work perfectly fine without a Codec unit (C40, SX80 or SX20) and that the control port can be directly connected to a VISCA compatible controller (with self-assembled ethernet cables). I have found documentation ( https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/camera/precisionhd/user_guide/precisionhd_1080p-720p_camera_user_guide.pdf page 34-35) that it is controllable with VISCA over RS-232.

From what I can tell, the Codec units are mostly for ease of use and a GUI for teleconferencing, but I'm unable to find any information that explicitly states that.

Can anyone confirm this prior to me purchasing a unit to find out?

8 Replies 8

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, a PrecisionHD camera can be used as just a camera without using a TelePresence codec.

The codec is what does all the work for a standard TelePresence connection (and can be used with different cameras).

If you just want to use one of those older PrecisionHD cameras just as a camera, you can do so.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Wayne,

Do you need a cam Link or something to connect the TTC08-02 as standalone?

We have one but the PC does not recognise the camera and only recognises the cam Link (Elgato)

Yes - you will need something to allow your PC to have an HDMI input for the camera if it doesn't already - and the Elgato Cam Link is one type of such device (I haven't used an Elgato before - but have used similar Magewell ones).   Your PC will not "see" the camera - you should be able to set the Elgato device as the video source for whatever software you are using, and it should just pass the image it receives over the HDMI.  If you want PTZ control, you will need to add a serial connection as well, and use some software that is capable of issuing the required Visca commands to the camera.  The Elgato will only handle the video, not the camera control.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

alvaro.pequeno
Level 1
Level 1

I need to use my ttc8-02 standalone. I need use this device as hdmi webcam, can you help me to configure? my display dont see the camera automatly

If your display has an HDMI input, you should be able to connect the camera directly to the display via HDMI.  Note: you will also need to provide power to the camera with an appropriate camera power supply.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, 

I have a Cisco PrecisionHD camera (Model : TTC8-06) and I want to use it as a standalone camera (webcam for my Mac). I tried using an HDMI Video capture card and connected a power cord but it showed no picture, just a black screen. The lights work as expected ( a white power light and an orange indicator light). Is it possible to use it without the codec?
I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Yes, if you have an appropriate HDMI capture card, you can feed the video out of the camera in to your computer (or any other device that allows HDMI input). I have some cameras that are configured exactly this way.

But adding all that extra complexity and taking the physical size of the camera in to account, it's probably not the best solution - you'd likely be better off using a purpose designed web camera.

Wayne

Thank you for your reply. I tried using an HDMI Video capture card but all I see is a black screen. Not sure what I need to see the display out. I connected the HDMI and provided external power. The lights on the camera work as expected but the camera doesn't output anything at all.