cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use Video conferencing with only endpoints MX and EX series ?

Yanes ABDELLI
Level 1
Level 1

I read that MX and EX end points have an MCU embded. Is that mean that we can use video conferencing without CMD or CUCM ?

Thank you,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

EX Series endpoints are EOS, I believe you're asking about the SX Series endpoints.  Endpoints that support MultiSite (embedded MCU) can host conferences without needing a conference bridge such as TelePresence Server or Cisco Meeting Server.

CUCM is used for call control and is not a video conference bridge, you can use a call control server such as CUCM or VCS, or standalone mode.

The current Multisite capable endpoints are:

• MX200/300 G2
  • MX700/800
  • SX20/80

View solution in original post

And the new "Room Kit" endpoints can also do Multisite.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

EX Series endpoints are EOS, I believe you're asking about the SX Series endpoints.  Endpoints that support MultiSite (embedded MCU) can host conferences without needing a conference bridge such as TelePresence Server or Cisco Meeting Server.

CUCM is used for call control and is not a video conference bridge, you can use a call control server such as CUCM or VCS, or standalone mode.

The current Multisite capable endpoints are:

• MX200/300 G2
  • MX700/800
  • SX20/80

And the new "Room Kit" endpoints can also do Multisite.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

For effect of clarification, I want to add that the MS is a license in some endpoints, or it comes embedded in the software. If the EX and MX200/300 G1 (Guessing that you are using G1), have the MultiSite option, then you can use the endpoint to add a 3rd participant to the call, and that third participant does not have to support MS, because the resources of the calling party will be used (meaning MS). This can be done without using a conference server like MCU or CMS, as using the licenses will allow you to use the Multipoint mode "MultiSite" in the endpoint, and support video participants.

The endpoints that come with MS option embedded (for your particular concern) are:

EX90 (4-way 720p30)

MX200/300 G2 (Three-way resolution up to 720p30 -  Four-way resolution up to 576p30)

If you use EX60 or MX200/300 G1, you do require to use a CUCM or MCU, as MultiSite is not an option available due to some hardware limitations. Instead you could use the MultiWay or Ad-Hoc option.

As Wayne and Patrick mentioned, Cisco no longer sells EX or MX G1 endpoints, and the current portfolio with the MS feature are the ones mentioned by Patrick and Wayne.

I hope this complements the information provided so far by the other experts.

Thank you everyone for your reply :D

Thank you Patrick for your reply, so to use for example to use MX700 with EX90 for only video conferencing and without CUCM we muste have a CMS  ?

Thank you

If you have a Multisite enabled endpoint, it can be the host for the conference, which means no conference bridge is required.  However, Multisite endpoints are limited to four or five participants total depending on the endpoint model, the endpoint that is hosting the Multisite conference will count toward the total number of available participants that can connect.

As I mentioned before, CUCM is used for call control, it is not required, which will mean the endpoints will be configured in standalone mode and will need to dial via IP address to connect to one another.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: