Views
Helpful
Replies

Change the IP address of voice gateway

mazars-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have two offices in London, one of the London office is new. We have closed our office in Sutton and planning to move the Sutton voice kit to the London new office. Current London office will be closed once the new office is setup.

We are planning to move the voice kit from the Sutton office to the london new office.

Could some more advise me what changes need to be done if we move the voice gateway from one office to another and change the gateway IP address.

If you can explain the configuration required both on voice gateway and CUCM 8.6 that would be nice.

Thanks,

Kashif

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kashif,

Good catch on the CUCM-side config for h323. Sorry, I got caught up in doing my real job and rushed the response.

You actually wouldn't need to delete and re-add the H323 gateway in CUCM. You can simply change the device name. Removing/re-adding would actually be more work since you would need to break associations to routelist or route patterns.

If the dial-plan needs and call flows are the same in the new office then you can certainly use the same CSS/PT/etc. Nothing you have provided suggests there would be an issue.

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on what you mean by "voice kit" and what protocol you are running. I'll assume that it is a single voice gateway and, as such, will focus on the protocol question.

In all cases, if you are chaning the IP addressing scheme then you will need to modify the physical and logical interfaces on the router acting as a voice gateway. This should be relatively straightforward and is the same for any network infrastructure device you re-IP.  Also, if you use network ACLs or firewall rules on your intra-network communications (i.e. voice network to data network) then you may need to make adjustments there as well. Again, standard fare for any network admin.

If your gateway is MGCP then you do not need to modify anything on the gateway itself (other than what has already been noted). If your gateway host name and domain is remaining unchanged then you don't need to do anything on the call manager either. If you are changing the gateway host name or domain then you need to reconfigure the gateway in CUCM (Device > Gateways). Find your old gateway name. Edit and adjust accordingly.

If your gateway is H323 then you will need to adjust the H323 bind address. Search the config for "h323-gateway voip bind ...". Adjust the address accordingly. This command will be attached to the interface (usually a loopback interface) that is associated to the IP address. If you are using BACD or other application on the voice gateway then you may need to adjust dial peers that reference any loopback (or other local interface) on the gateway. You will have to search your config for these instance. Look under voip dial peers. Don't mess with the voip dial peers that point to CUCM.

For H323 configs on CUCM, you will need to change the IP address assigned to the H323 gateway device. You can simply edit the gateway, change the IP, save and reset the gateway device.

For SIP, the same is true on the IOS-side for any apps you may be running locally on the gateway. The binding command for SIP doesn't reference the IP address (just the local interface) so you are good there. If you are doing CUBE then you will need to look at voip dial-peers as well.  On the CUCM side, you will need to edit the SIP trunk, scroll down to destination, and modify the IP address (if you are using IP). If you are using DNS (A or SRV records) then you just need to modify the resource record in DNS. As with H323 gateway, if you modify the SIP trunk don't forget to reset it.

If you have CUE on the host then you'll need to change the IP on that system too. This can be done from the router CLI. Edit the IP addressing (several commands) for the service engine and then reload the engine.

More specific instruction would require more specific background.

HTH.

Hi William,

Thanks for your detailed answers, really appreciat.

Yes we have h323 voice gateway and no CUE. I would change the voice gateway IP address and H323 bind address.

In CUCM 8.6 I would delete the voice gateway and re-add the gateway with the new IP address, update the location and router group. As I mentioned I will moving the voice gateway to the new London office and will close the current office in London so I would like to use the all current London partition, CSS and route pattern. Could you please confirm this and please advise if I have miss any thing. Our DDI woule be the same once we switchover from old office to the new office.

Many Thanks,

Kashif

Kashif,

Good catch on the CUCM-side config for h323. Sorry, I got caught up in doing my real job and rushed the response.

You actually wouldn't need to delete and re-add the H323 gateway in CUCM. You can simply change the device name. Removing/re-adding would actually be more work since you would need to break associations to routelist or route patterns.

If the dial-plan needs and call flows are the same in the new office then you can certainly use the same CSS/PT/etc. Nothing you have provided suggests there would be an issue.

Thanks for the clarification William.

Kashif

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: