Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VCS Control and Expressway upgradation

mohsin majeed
Level 2
Level 2

Dears,

One of the client has its VCS Control and Expressway on hardware server version X7.2.2. The client want the VPNless Jabber connectivity "Mobile and Remote Access" feature.

By reading through the detail i come to know X7.2.2 does not support this feature. In this case, i have to upgrade to the newer X8 plus version. Based on your experience i would like to know what considerations i should have in mind regarding the upgrade and licenses which are already installed. This current solution hardware based.

- Should i upgrade it on the same Hardware.

or

- Can i migrate it from hardware to virtualization using OVA or i have to deploy OVA and configured it from scratch.

6 Replies 6

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mohsin,

The install / upgrade process and different scenarios are covered here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/telepresence-video-communication-server-vcs/products-installation-guides-list.html

HTH

Manish

Thanks dear

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The easiest option is to upgrade it on the current hardware.  If you have an active service contract on the device you are able to download the latest X8.5.2 software from the cisco download web site: https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283733603&flowid=46003&softwareid=280886992&release=X8.5.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest.  Download the .tar.gz file, not the OVA.  it's the .tar.gz that you will need to provide to the VCS in the upgrade process via the web interface (Maintenance > Upgrade).

If you really want to Virtualise the VCS, you need to order the product migration SKU to be able to migrate the product and licences from the hardware platform to a VM.  Have a look at this thread: vcsvcse-license-migration-hardware-vm for some information on that.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne,

This is the information i was looking for. I have a partner account and already downloaded X8.5.2.tar.gz file but client's service contract is expired. Since it is expired, is there any impact on the upgrade process. I mean to say, do we need anything later on other than downloading this software.

Here is one thing that i can't physically upgrade in the test lab environment. I have to do it in production. My concern it that:

Is there any issue regarding licenses, restart device or any well known issue. Please share your experience or can refer me the link.

Best Regards,

If you are just performing the upgrade of an existing VCS (and you would use the same process if you were upgrading one that had previously been deployed via an OVA - so you can lab test it if you need to) there will be no issues with licences - you just need the new software release key for the version you are upgrading to - which you can get from the cisco licencing portal (Get Other Licence > TelePresence Software Release Key > enter your VCS serial number > select the release key you want (ie X8.5.2) > Check your email credentials, click the "I agree" check box and then the Submit button and the request will get processed and the release key emailed you you.

Other than that, all the VCS upgrades we've done have gone very smoothly (we've done many over the years across multiple companies on both controls and expressways as the many different versions have been released) - we've not come across any issues with the upgrade process or restarting the devices.

If you're going to do the Hardware to Virtual migration - then that's a different set of complexities and will need further planning.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Dear,

Now, finally it is decided to upgrade C&E version 7.2.2 to 8+ on the same hardware. I already downloaded software. One thing i need to confirm; do i need service contract other than downloading the software during the whole process of upgrade.

I am asking this because customer service contract is no more valid. I downloaded this software using my partner account.

Regards,